Cadillac vs MB

Folks, I currently have been driving Cadillac SDV's since 1992. They are great cars and I can buy a used 1990-1993 model for around 2000. Parts are very cheap, and I can and have put 200,000 miles on the 4.9l gas engine without ever a problem. My question to the group is, I'd like to get a MB and have heard the diesels engines are very reliable/stable and go many many miles. I"d like some valued opinions on whether I should stay with what I know, or if there is similar value in a used MB. I realize they are two totally different cars, but am thinking about a change, and wondered about getting a MB. I certainly do not want a big dollar problem child. After I put 10-30,000 on the Sedan Devilles, I 've sold them all for what I bought them for. I've been basically driving for free or maybe costing

100/month total investment if that for the last 5 years. Thanks in advance for any and all help in this area.
Reply to
Chuck Grospitch

Your stated motivation is economic - cheaper than the nearly free Cadillacs that you've owned.

A $2,000 M-B will be about ten years OLDER than the Cadillacs that you typically buy and will have about 100K more miles. M-B parts and shop repairs are very expensive so to cut costs you must DIY and shop for the needed parts on-line or in salvage yards.

Stay with what you know, obviously like, and are comfortable driving.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

An older mercedes will run well over $3000 for maintanence, repair, fuel, etc. They are said to be easy to work on, but the dealers have extreme trouble repairing even the simplest problems. If you are happy driving the Caddies, stay with them.

mcbrue honestly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

A M-B diesel will deliver about 24 - 26 mpg depending on how and where you drive it. The old five cylinder turbodiesels are very durable engines with a 250K to 300K mile useful life, depending on maintenance - from day one.

A typical twenty year old M-B's value falls to parts when its engine and transmission need an overhaul or at least salvage yard replacements.

You'll save some fuel but one large repair will more than wipe out those savings. There's no free lunch, even at Mercedes-Benz.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach