Changing the timing chain on an 85 190E

Just purchased an 85' 190E for my daughter with 126 miles on the clock. I hear a chain rattle untill the tensioner takes up the slack. Is the procedure for changing the chain same as for a 380SEC *which I have done in the past*?

This is what I did with the 380: . Turn the engine to get the master link just before the left Cam gear. . Lock the chain and the Cam gear together with a pair of grips at the

10 O'Clock position. . Remove the tensioner. . Break the link and attach the new link to the end of the old chain with a new Master link. . Feed the chain through relocking the grips at 10 and 3 O'clock positions. . Once fed, break the link, remove the old chain and reattach the new chain with a new master link. . Install a new tensioner.

This procedure worked for the 380 SEC. Not sure if it is the same for the single cam 4.

Any help on this will be well appreciated. Thanking in advance for your help,

Dinesh H

Reply to
DH