diesel secret

A couple of weeks ago my son got the diesel secret, and we gave it a try. To make sure we had no problems with the oil, we decided to use new oil instead of used oil. BIT MISTAKE! No one warned us that you have to use used oil. Anyway, after mixing it up, it pumped fine for about 10 seconds, the slowly dropped down in flow until all we could get was a drip through the filter. We removed the water block filter and it begun flowing again, but in about 20 seconds it did the same thing with the 5 micro filter. An email to Diesel Secret was no use, although we told them the oil was brand new, they responded back that the restaurant had this or that problem and to let the oil settle and so forth, when of course there was no restaurant involved at all and the oil had nothing to settle out.

Anyway, after spending a couple of weeks trying to get the stuff to pump through the filters, we finally threw all the new oil out, and got some used oil from a restaurant, replaced the filters, and processed it. As far as we can tell, it is working fine with used oil.

So be forwarned, using new oil will not work, you have to use used oil.

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

Very interesting but seems perverse that it needs contaminants to work!

Could you please tell what car you are using, specifically whether it is a CDI ?

Reply to
Nihil

I think the problem may be that the unused oil had some water in it, and that once it is used the water is boiled out.

The filters that were stopping up are those that diesel secret requires, the water block and the 5 micron, it was never making it to the car. The car is atually a new Jeep diesel. I posted here because this seems to be the only newsgroup where diesel secret is discussed.

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

Used iol and new oil should work exactly the same. I have no idea what diesel secret is and probably don't want to know.

There was an article in the New York Times recently about some guy using new oil he bought instead of #2 diesel and had been doing it for a while.

It does work, honest. If yours doesn't there's some other reason.

Diesels were invented to work on new peanut oil BTW.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

It is not that it won't run on it, it is that it will not go through the 5 micron filter.

Marshall

Richard Sext> Used iol and new oil should work exactly the same. I have no idea what diesel

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

"Marshall Dudley" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@king-cart.com...

The $64,000 questions is....what oil did you buy to begin with? You can't use just any type of vegetable oil, especially the saturated oil. I buy a 35 pound jug of pure soybean oil from Costco every once in a while and pour it directly into my 300D before fueling up with regular diesel. Ends up at about $2.90 per gallon since there is no road or sales tax. The veggie oil keeps everything in the fuel system really clean and the engine always runs smoother with that 4-plus gallons of veggie oil in the tank. I've used the Diesel Secret system but all they do is charge you a lot for their (secret) formula which is nothing more than fuel stabilizer. What that does is simply keep everything in suspension while the fuel is sitting rather than letting water settle to the bottom. As a matter of interest nearly all liquid fuel has some water in suspension. Almost impossible to keep the stuff out. And it really doesn't hurt the engine since a car, especially gas engines, tend to run better on a rainy/foggy/wet day than in a dry, barren desert. Remember when they used to use water injection in "hot rods"? As for your veggie oil system just make sure the restaurant gives you good oil and not a bunch of junk. At one point I had collected more than 50 gallons of just junk that I had to mix with sawdust in big plastic bags and dispose of in the trash container of the restaurant. Not worth the problem and I finally stopped picking up their used oil. One other thing....make darn sure you have no fuel leaks as that veggie oil can get really messy when it leaks from the fuel by-pass lines, injectors, etc. I had a real mess until I changed the by-pass lines to some real good stuff from McMaster-Carr. Good luck!

Reply to
Ernesto