E320 Not starting

I have a 96 E320 that won't start. I have been dealing with this for about

6 months now. Every once in a while, about once every 2 weeks, the engine turns over but doesn't start. I replaced the plugs and fuel filter. I'm thinking it may be a fuel problem, maybe a fuel pump regulator? Is this common on this model?
Reply to
Steve

When you have hard or no start situation... was it when engine is cold first thing in the morning or like 15 minutes after you parked the car?

Reply to
Tiger

There's fuel supply and fuel pressure regulation. The fuel pressure is regulated by the small can like regulator on the top left of the engine. It has a hose attached and its attached to the fuel rail. With the engine OFF pull off its rubber (vacuum) hose; if fuel drips out the regulator is defective.

An intermittent fuel pump or fuel pump relay, more likely the latter, would cause the problem you describe - no fuel. Eventually it will quit while you're driving, causing a stall.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"Tiger" wrote in news:yefwe.2053$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

Sometimes cold, but other times just random, when it's warm. I just had a Mercedes mechanic hook it up, and the code was Crank Case Sensor. Never heard of that one.

Reply to
Steve

Did they mean "crankshaft position sensor"? If that's faulty, the ignition won't work. Or maybe crank case pressure sensor?

Now if there is a crankcase sensor what does it do? Verify that the crankcase is still under the hood?

Josh

Reply to
Josh

That makes sense... crankshaft sensor... if it doesn't detect your engine spinning, it will keep ignition system off.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi, Does anyone knows exact location of fuel check valve for 1995 E-320 ? I heard that the check valve is located near fuel pump. I am looking at the fuel filter and fuel pumps but I can not find the valve. Please advise me. Thanks. mugong

Reply to
mugong

I have 1995 MB E320.I have starting problem. If I start everyday no problem but I start once or twice a week then I am having hard time to start. My mechanic changed fuel filter and checked fuel pressure regulator and fuel check valve with mouth (blow air into it),and checked fuel pump.Also he excanged fuel relay with auxilityfan relay. Crankingis good.It seems like not enough fuel coming thru. After I pumped accelerater, I can not smell any gasoline. Anybody had a similar problem? Please advise me.Thanks in advance. Mugong P.S. What is the proper way to chech fuel check valve?

Reply to
mugong

"mugong" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Changed the crankshaft positioning sensor, and it fixed it for a while. But I'm having the same problem now. Wouldn't start this morning, not sure what to do now.

Reply to
Steve