93 Van 3.3 Starting problem

Lately, I'm having a problem starting my van. It's intermittent, but I think it's a sign of something beginning to go bad. I'll turn the key and it will crank but not start. I then turn the key to off and then try it again and it'll start. As I said, it doesn't happy every time, but it seems to be heading in that direction. The fuel pump has been replaced about 4 weeks ago along with the filter. Fuel rail has been replaced about 2 months ago. I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch starting to go bad. Any ideas ?

thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

Assume it's an ignition problem. To verify this, disconnect the cable from the center of the distributor and hold it about 1/8 inch from any part of the engine (use gloves so you won't get zapped). Have someone crank the engine and see if there is any spark. If there isn't, you then have to find where the B+ (12 volts) is not being applied. Use a multimeter or neon light to determine how far the B+ is getting. Start with the + terminal to the ignition coil, then work your way back to the ignition switch. It's best if you have a wiring diagram for your car so you are not guessing as to the circuitry and don't have to resort to the "shotgun" repair method where you're sort of guessing what component is bad and then replacing it, finding that was not the problem. Intermittent problems are tough; you have to try to recreate the scenario where it seems to fail, if possible. I like it when they finally become a 100% failure, so then you can track it down without a hassle.

Reply to
Tom Charbonneau

Thanks, but they put a new fuel pump in and the wiring when it quit on vacation. Do you happen to know where these relays are so I can check and clean them ? The new wiring (from the fuel pump) plugs into a connector on the drivers side along the frame towards the back of the vehicle, but I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about. And yes, these intermittent problems are difficult to track down.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

First off to the guy that said pull the wire from the center of the distributors cap, I have the same van and engine combo and I don't have a distributor, let a lone a cap.

the relays are right by the battery, there is a bank of them, I forget which one is which but I bet they are all dirty, 2 screws allows you to pull the whole bank out.

Reply to
Len

thanks for the reply... I also noticed the reply about the distributor but did not reply. I'll check the relays.

thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs