Fan doesn't engage

Weather finally got hot here on Long Island and I ran the A/C steady. Got stuck in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes and noticed that the temp gauge rose higher than normal which should have kicked in the fan in front of the radiator. This didn't happen. Had to cut off the A/C, put her in neutral to bring the temp back down. Didn't overheat, but I was concerned. Someone told me that a 212 switch might be stuck or not operating. I checked the fan and it spins freely. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, George

Reply to
George

What model car? Some are designed to run quite hot in this situation and the handbook says that up to the red zone is OK. If the fan has failed the A/C should go onto 50% cycling above about 120 deg C and shut off altogether at

130! but it depends which engine you have.

It may be that the engine fan is keeping the temp within acceptable limits without need for the electric auxillary coming on.

Reply to
Mick J