Re 240D Info

On closer examination... the broken belt has 'notches'(?) and I cannot pull it out. What I thought was a thin belt actually was what appears to be the external part of the belt. It looks like the belt broke and the part I saw that was electical-tape thin was the external part of the belt with the yellow numbers, name, whatever on it. The only way I can try to describe it is that the thin piece I saw (only about 4-5 inches thin) then the rest is thicker with notches/groves. It's apparently hung to/on something. Anyway, it won't come loose. At least I couldn't get it loose. I just gently tugged at it. I don't 'man-handle' anything but this is tight enough that it isn't going to just fall off. It's located dead center and only a short distance from the bumper.

_____^_ ^__^__^__^ looks kind of like this but the groves are slightly slanted. The 'no groves' part at the beginning is what I initially saw and described as approximately 1/2" wide. It is a belt and it's a sturdy belt!

Helen

Reply to
Helen

Good try. The reason to remove it is that we don't know where the debris are lodged. They could interfere with the other belts, break them and cause the water pump to stop allowing the engine to overheat.

Open the hood and look down to the left front of the engine. The A/C compressor is there and the broken belt should be visible. You'll also see the other belts on their pulleys; if the broken belt is clear of the other belts just leave it. The engine will be OK but no A/C.

When you drive it be sure to watch the engine temperature gauge, especially if you hear an unusual noise. And stop the engine if the temperature rises sharply and tow it to the shop.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for info. It is raining now and nearing dark. I will have to wait for another day. But this information is very helpful. Thank you.

Helen

Reply to
Helen