Flex Disk Replacement Questions - 300E/124 1989

The Mercedes official shop manual says "... turn the nut (with a rubber boot) on the driveshaft two turns ..." Is this necessary to do when removing the drive shaft to replace the flex disks. The nut is too big for any of my wrenches, and there is very little access to it because the catalytic converter is in the way. I'm hoping that I will be able to drop the shaft down, without this missed step leading to problems later in this job... Any suggestions??

Man ... are these nuts tight on the rear flex disk! Any tricks to getting these things loose?

Should I replace shaft seals on the diff and transmission while the driveshaft is out? I know they're inexpensive seals, but is it difficult to do?

Reply to
cabob1984

Don't drop the driveshaft... that's alot of work. If you are doing this yourself on your driveway, then simply work the bolt out... then bring down the car again and roll it so you can get to the next bolt.

Best and easiest way is on the lift where you leave the tranny in neutral so you can rotate the driveshaft.

Alternative is drive car on ramp in front... then use two shop jack... not those skinny POS... to raise the rear end and then put safety jack at the rear end to secure it.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger,

Thanks for the input. I have the car on 6000 pound rated jackstands on the front. A heavy duty hydraulic jack is holding up the transmission right now since I removed the support under the transmission mount. With the transmision mount out of the way, I was able to get acess to all of the bolts on the shaft side of the front flex disk - however it took practically every compbination extensions, swivels and sockets in my tool box.

With your feedback, I will change my plan and now try to remove the other three bolts from the tranmission side of the front flex disk, and then slip the new disk in and bolt it back together. I wonder if I should replace the shaft seal at the rear of the transmission.... do you have an opinion this? (My trnsmission is leaking fluid really bad, but I don't know the source yet - I can't tell if it is leaking around the shaft or not)

Bob Murrysville, PA

Reply to
cabob1984

Any leak from tranny is obvious... traces of fluid would be visible. If you needs to change your rear seal, then it is time to do it... with flex disc out and drive shaft out of the way... However, you need a 30mm deep socket or I believe 1 3/16" socket (3/4" drive available at Sears) with 3/4" to

1/2" adapter so you can use your 1/2" wrench... You will insert that adapter halfway because the tranny shaft will stick in a bit.
Reply to
Tiger