300E Front Flex Disk Removal

I have read some posts regarding this subject. It's been stated that there is no reason to drop the driveshaft. I want to avoid that but I'm concerned thet there is a 'centering sleeve' that's pressed into the driveshaft front flange that connects through to the transmission flange. If the driveshaft doesn't move back, how does a disconnected Flex disk drop out of the mesh. The Mercedes(official) shop manual says to loosen the drive shaft center nut 2 turns. Is this the required action to open up the required clearance to drop the flex disk out and away? Thanks for your help

Reply to
JB

never done it on a w124, but on my w116 6.9 that's the exact procedure I did and it worked. I required a 46mm open ended wrench to undo the nut and shrink the tail shaft, I don't know if it would be the same size on the w124.

Reply to
taxman

I would image there is plenty of play once the disk is loosened for it to come flopping out?

Dunno for sure, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in?

Tiger?

Reply to
Martin Joseph