Brake disk question

I just had the 110K kms. service on my '95 900SE and was told that the brake pads and _disks_ will need replacing soon at a cost of over $AUS700. I've replaced the disks once before (around 50K kms. I think). I've never replaced brake disks on any other car and always believed they pretty much lasted the life of the car with, perhaps a little machining. I was told that the 'official' Saab line is they they should be between 240 and 210 mms and mine are now just below that and should be replaced.

My question to anyone who knows more about it than I do is: is this replacement unnecessary? Can I just replace the pads and use my 200mm thick brake disks for a while longer?

Thanks in advance, Steve = : ^ )

Reply to
Steve B.

Replace them before you destroy the calipers and have to replace those, too. Or worse, have one blow out on you on the road. How often you have to replace them depends on how you drive and how much stopping you do.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

If the disks are really below minimum thickness then you should replace them. But it's worth measuring them yourself to make sure.

If you don't replace them, while it's unlikely that anything catastrophic will happen, they could develop cracks and eventually fail.

As for whether they should need replacing, it depends on several factors, including the type of pads you use and how you drive.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for the input. And LauraK too.

Steve = : ^ )

Grunff said:

Reply to
Steve B.

Unless you are doing the work yourself, it is not cost effective to replace the pads and then replace the disk later. When you replace the disk alone, you are also paying for the labor to replace the pads. I have even heard that you must replace the pads when you replace the disk. It is more cost effective to do all the work at once, rather than several jobs, since you have pay for the labor to remove the same pieces each time.

Reply to
ma_twain

Thanks.

Steve = : ^ )

Reply to
Steve B.

Modern discs are made of softer iron than previous as the pads are harder due to the lack of Asbestos. Pads harder so discs must be softer to get the same braking performance.

Your brakes are the only thing that stop over a tonne of metal that contains YOU and moves at considerable speed. Do you really want to take chances with them for the sake of a few quid?

Cheers Matt

Reply to
**-**

Mind-you, at 200mm, surely they're still thick enough to stop a fleet of speeding battleships ;o)

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

200 mm thick ?

diam maybe.

-------- MH.

Reply to
MH

For most of us here in Australia, $700 is not 'a few quid'! 8-) That's a whole week's after-tax pay for anyone on an average income.

Craig.

-- Craig Ian Dewick ( snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au).

APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP). Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

Erm... Shirley it's only going to make $700 worth of difference if the OP stretches the worn disks out to *double* their design life!

If "a while longer" means a couple of months then he really is only going to be saving a few quid.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Where in Australia are you. And which dealer do you go to.

Reply to
Bill

Sorry for the delay. Eastern suburbs of Sydney, Pate & Vernooy.

Steve = : ^ )

Bill said:

Reply to
Steve B.