Transmission leaking through yoke

I posted this before (regarding an ATF leak down the shaft splines and out the center of the U-joint yoke) and the answer was "leaking check valve in torque conveter". I assume this valve is inside the torque converter? Is this valve servicable or do I need to replace converter? Also, this is a

1970 Cutlass with what I believe is TH350 of unknown history. Does this valve actually wear out or crack with age or do they just stick due to dirt?

Thanks again for any comments and advice, Bobby

Reply to
bob

I really don't know where that 'diagnosis' came from, but 'normally' a leak out the tailpiece is just a failure of the tailpiece seals....

The torque converter is the part at the 'other' end that attaches to the engine. When their seal goes, you have ATV puking out the front of the tranny, not the back.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Whoa that sounds like a good one. Who told you that, a tranny place? The yoke on that 350 tranny can get rusted and leak out of the center of it. There is oil right behind it inside the transmission. If the transmission pressure was high enough to make a leak like that, it would blow out the front seal of the transmission first. The input shaft of the transmission is a completely seperate part from the output shaft. Usually the seal wears out and leaks first. Some seals have a dust boot that extends outward so you can't see the seal lips themselves, and they can leak anywhere around the circumference of the seal. The easy way to tell is to unbolt the driveshaft at the rearend, make sure the car is jacked up high in the rear, and low in the front end, or the tranny fluid will pour out the back when you slide out the yoke. Have a bucket ready just in case. The seal can be tapped out using a hammer and a screwdriver, by putting the screwdriver between seal collar and the aluminum tailshaft flange. The end of the tailshaft flange is narrow, about 1/2 inch, and the seal collar is about 1/8 inch wide. Tap on the seal sheet metal collar until it pops outward away from the flange or until it bends the seal inward and it falls out. A new one is just carefully tapped in by a hammer. Thay are cheap to buy, about $5. Then with the yoke off, pull it out from under the car and put your mouth into it and blow into it. If you hear air escaping from the yoke, you know what the problem is. Or better yet, fill it with water and blow into it, if you see water leaking out, it has a leak. You can get a yoke from any junk yard, and when you fix it you should replace the universal joints at the same time. This is just common sense. Also if you get a junkyard yoke, check it over carefully for scratches or rust. Small ones can be polished out with fine 400 grit emery cloth sandpaper. I like to then use 600 grit to really make it shine. Also when you buy a new seal, look for the heavy duty seal, with the extended boot, to cover the seal lips and keep dust out.

Reply to
fastcarface

On the ones that have the vent hole in the center of the yoke. You need to pull the trans tail housing off and there should be a steel sleve on the end of the tail shaft with a O ring seal that goes around the end of the drive shaft youke when it is installed. If this sleeve has been left off or the O ring is bad it will let trans fluid leak out the vent hole in center of drive shaft. They are made that way to keep the driveshaft from building up pressure in the yoke and slamming the rear planatary gears with back lash when the rear end goes up and down. Some seal the vent hole and some get a yoke that does not have a hole in it. But the proper fix is to plull the transmission rear tail housing and fix the o ring seal setup on the back of the transmission tail shaft. Or always park it down hill also helps. MT

Reply to
MT-2500

I'll second that, the hole in the yoke end plug is intentional and a leak there is caused by a faulty yoke seal on the output shaft.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Just for reference, the first time I posted a question, I got a couple of posts that said something like

"If the check valve that keeps the torque convertor full doesn't seal properly the transmission will gradually overfill as the torque convertor drains down thus causing the output shaft splines to be submerged in fluid where they are normally only exposed to splash. If you start driving this car daily you may not have significant leakage from the transmission tail. There is no seal to keep fluid out of the tail housing. There is a plug in the yoke. Sometimes it is vented, sometimes not. "

Thanks to all who posted. I was afraid I needed to pull tranny and change torque converter but based on these posts, I'll pull driveshaft and look at seals and orings.

Thanks, Bobby

Reply to
bob

You are welcome. Glad we all could give you the correct info. One other thing that might make it leak more there is the vent on top of trans. You might have a look at it to. Good Luck MT

Reply to
MT-2500

The biggest cause of leaks back there is a bad u-joint. It vibrates the crap out of it and blows seals.

Mike

Mike Romain

10-4 on the U-joints And another thing to check is the bushing in the tail shaft also the yokes wear where they rub on the bushing. MT
Reply to
MT-2500

======== ========

You've read your thread, you know the facts.

Now..... here's what I'm going to do to the next one that comes in the shop.......

yank the driveshaft........

soak it with carb cleaner......

blow it dry.......

soak it with carb cleaner......

blow it dry.......

take a quater out of my pocket.......

cover it with about 1/2 inch of silicone adhesive......

squirt a goodly glob of silicone down in the driveshaft yoke........

take my 1/2 drive, 1ft extension..........

and shove that quater, silicone face down, into the bottom of that drive shaft.

put the driveshaft back on the car......

and....i'll be done with it in about 5 minutes from the time I start.

and....IT AIN'T GONNA LEAK FOR YEARS!!!!

or... you can pull the tail housing and go the other route.

Fact...not Fiction

~:~ MarshMonster tranny tech

~sips his coffee.......mmm.....needs more liquor~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

=========== =========== Mike Roma> I really don't know where that 'diagnosis' came from, but 'normally' a

=========== ===========

========= =========

nice shop he's got in that pic.

anyone want directions so's he can fix YOUR car??

~:~ MarshMonster ~maybe Don wuz upsell'n......"before"...he got the car~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

How much do you mark the quarter up? ;-)

Reply to
Neil Nelson

The above appears to suit you to 'T'.

Mike

Mike Romain

I bet. Do you only diagnose when you are drunk?

Sure sounds like it. Nothing like an anonymous drunk fool pretending to be a mechanic.

Blocking a vent hole to stop a leak, what a moron. Ya wanna hope he never hits any speed bumps eh?

So once the area at the base of the yoke has filled up with fluid, where is it suppose to go when he hit the next bump and the yoke wants to slide in.

The fluid won't compress so something 'will' break.

Mike

Mike Romain

======== ========

It depends........ on how close I am to bonus.

^ ^

- 0 L O

~:~ marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Sure, I'm often drunk and many times you'll find i'm Usually on mushroom tea too. And...I have no Concious wanting to pretend that I'm anything other than a Kookoo that's got no hands on experience.

Moron? Why..that'a a bit sharp ain't it. I mean.. You shouldn't aughta go flame'n a dude like that.

Any whooo....if the OP doesn't want to take Some advice from me..that's cool. I don't really See how's it's gonna bother me a whole hoot.

Personally, he can take your advice if he wants. Realistically, he probly should. I mean, you seem to Indicate to all that your superior mind can not be Considered anything other than absolute on most oh fk it......

! ! !

~hopes his message is clear...if not...i refer you down the left margin.

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea.......and goes perpendiculer~

Reply to
Marsh Monster