Fuel pump noise

1984 500 SEL Euro

The fuel pump makes a somewhat loud hissing noise, like there is a leak, but there is no leak to be found at all, I have checked the fuel lines and all. It almost sounds like its being strained, is this a sign of a soon to be failure? Or is it normal. The car runs good and doesn't seem to hesitate at all.

Reply to
Rick

It is probably both the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. The age of the car is now 23... I think that is super long life for fuel pump.

Reply to
Tiger

Where is the fuel filter? You might look at it.

Reply to
who

Remove the fuel filter. Take a clear bottle and allow the fuel to drain into the bottle from the inlet side. You may want to take some air pressure, and blow all the fuel out of the filter. Now hold the bottle up to the light. If you see a metallic sparkel in bottom of the bottle your fuel pump is probably ready for replacement. Replace the fuel filter at the same time. Get new copper washers to seal both the new pump and filter. You could wait for it to fail as long as it seems to being the job. Mike

Reply to
mdsimon80