LOUD "BANG"noise from underneath! Help! 97' V8 AWD XLT Explorer

For the past few months I have had this noise, which has become worse, which sounds like a loud "bang" comming from underneath when I accelerate from stop at a normal speed. When I take off slow, it doesn't make the noise. When I accelerate like normal it "bangs" like

3 to 5 times. When I accelerate fast, it bangs only once. The engine does not hesitate or jump or anything when it makes the noise. I heard that it could be my gear box for my AWD. Does any one else have this problem? How much is a gear box and can I change it myself with any Trans. tools. I need it to last me another year or so. Help.
Reply to
RevRob

Had this problem in my old f-100. Greased the rear leaf springs and shackles and that cured it.

...Larry

Reply to
Larry

I also notice that when my front end ball joints need grease they make a popping noise sometimes. Just wanted to add to what another user all ready said to you. He mentioned the rear leaf springs. Please post what ends up fixing your issue as that will help someone in the future with a similar problem as yours when they do a google search.

good luck!!

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

when you here this bang does the armrest shake. It could also be a broken transmission mount. I had this problem on camaro several times

Reply to
mab6680

Nothing inside realy shakes when it bangs but I will check the tran. mounts, and ball joints. It did it all day yeasterday when I was towing my trailer. I'm also going to try accelerating in 2 low to see if it still does it.

Reply to
RevRob