Great 1971 Mercedes 220.... need engine help..

The 190s were made in a different factory and there were, uh, issues.

Can't say they're bad cars though. Jsut stock up on windows parts.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

direct comparison between my '93 190e and '89 300e in short is:

direct comparison betwen my '93 190e (220k km) and '89 300e (250k km):

190e - problems with driveshaft bearing & flexdisk windows cracked in two places not from rocks.... just on their own rear differential has lots of play ... clunking a/c hose shift bushing 300e - a/c evaporator

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

???

Hope I am not jinxing myself, but my windows work fine. 20 years old and 125K miles.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

They certainly appear to be quite similar to me... Especially the C230 ;~)

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I actually seem to remember people referring to them as the C class. You had your E class, your S class, so it wasn't a stretch to call a 190 a C class. Perhaps it wasn't formal mercedes benz jargon, but there it is. Of course, to booste sales, the number 190 was enlarged to, I think, 220? 240? No matter, I wouldn't consider it as a viable purchase myself. Perhaps part of the reason they arent (weren't) as dependable was that they were not made in Germany. Call me a benz snob, but I only buy benzs made in Germany.

Reply to
wolfpuppy

They were made in germany you ignorant snob.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

No, I don't think the baby benzs, as we referred to them, were. Maybe some of the parts were, but I believe they were assembled in the States. But you are definitely the type who, when can't back up an argument with facts, resorts to name calling. So, since you set the ground rules, I'll fire one back....f*ck you too, asshole. There, now don't we both feel all better now?

Another reason small children should not be allowed around a computer.

Reply to
wolfpuppy

Dude, they really were made in Germany. The first MB you could buy in the US that wasn't was US delivery MLs whihc were made in Alabama.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Well, that was a more reasonable response, and one I can appreciate. I don't respond well to insults. But, ok. I've read enough of your posts to believe that you've probably forgotten more than I know about benzs, and I am only on my third one now. And I remember that about the M's, too...look like a reebok sneaker.

Reply to
wolfpuppy

You're right in theroy but wrong on details. Real MB's were made in the, uh, Sindfelden (sp?) factoty by Germans. 190's were made at some other factory primarily by Turkish immigrnts. There were morale problems ande they didn't love the cars the way the Germans did, national pride and all. They suffered quality problems because of this and on top of being "built to cost" was a bit of an issue.

This is what I've heard anyway, I don't really know how true it is but I keep hearing the same story.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I'd always heard that they were made somewhere other than Stuttgart, Germany, myself.

Reply to
wolfpuppy