1971 Commando - what to look for

It has been a while since I owned a Jeep (My last one was a 1997 TJ and it caused me more problems than the CJ's I had before it, but this is a story for other times) - but I recently ran across a 71 V6 C-101 that seems to be in very nice condition. The body seems nice, it has a hardtop, convertible top and multiple bikini tops. The interior looks OK. I did not see any rust on the body. I drove it and it seems really slow and gutless - but maybe this is something that a tuneup will solve. Also, the seat is bolted too close to the steering wheel for my comfort - so I will have to modify this aspect of the car.

It seems to be mostly original from what I can tell - the steering wheel and radio are not, but everything else seems to be right.

So, I will obviously have it taken to be inspected for compression - but what else should I pay attention to? Any recommended books on the subject?

Any comments on the car feeling slow and gutless? Could it be because I have not been driving vintage cars in a while?

Thanks for any pointers.

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

L.W.(ßill)

Oh boy, the days before digital cameras! How we got anything accomlished without them, I can't even imagine. Being 29 I barely remeber having to get up and change the channel on the TV.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
twaldron

American Jeepster Club main page;

chat board,
of good info and parts sources.The 225 is'nt a powerhouse, but is adequate for transport and off-road. Someput modern 4.0 liter engines in, but the bullnose also came with AMC V-8,plenty of room for any engine you like.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I didn't want to scare him off by setting the bar too high. BTW, it looks like this oO|||||||Oo

Reply to
Paul Calman

The stock 225 V6 shouldn't be completely gutless. Stock was about 165 hp with a 2 bbl carb. The T400 auto drains some power, but is a lot easier to drive in city traffic than the 3 speed manual. The 225 is what eventualy became the Buick 231.

There are plenty of options for different engines in these Jeeps including many different flavors of V8's. Depending on your intended purpose for the truck, you might want to swap the axles. Most Commandos (at least the earlier ones) had 3.73 gears in the axles. Great for freeway driving, OK for most towing, not so great for sloppy deep doo-doo. AMC V-8's should have more power than you should ever need in that light a vehicle, especially if you don't wear that anvil of a steel top often.

You'll want to either sell the hard top or make a lift for getting it off the body. It's steel and glass and is nowhere near a one person job to move it without some mechanical help. I'm adding a crank-up winch and pulleys in my garage so I can get my steel top off by myself. It's so akward to move it's ridiculous, and is actually kind of flimsy (structurally) so flipping it around yourself will likely twist the snot out of it. If you twist that steel top up too bad you might as well junk it because it'll never fit right again. If you have the original interior in the hard top consider yourself lucky. Very few of these survived with the original bowed headliners intact. Most were trashed decades ago. It's a LOT more comfortable and quiet with the 'real' headliner in it than nothing, or some stick-on headliner jobby (but even that's better than nothing).

Check out the American Jeepster Club website (in another post) for plenty of info about these cool Jeeps.

Cheers, - Jeff G

67 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 50 Willys 4x4 Station Wagon
Reply to
Bubba Kahuna

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)