HELP! HELP! HELP! Belts Are Not Turning on 300SD while motor is running

Motor Runs but no pulleys or belts are turning . Where do I start to fix this? Help on this will be GREATLY appreciated.--NW

Reply to
nw

Sorry I Meant 300D not SD , but it does have a turbo diesel . Its a

1984 model if that helps.--NW

Reply to
nw

Sounds like the key that keys the damper pulley to the crankshaft is broken and the crankshaft turns inside the damper pulley.

Reply to
Mr. Elbe

It would help if you specified what car you got. If you got a one big wide belt, then I'd start with your tensioner.

Reply to
Tiger

Oops... I shot my message before I saw your specification... I would say start with that big main pully on the bottom of your engine... check for bolts that might have been removed... etc.

Reply to
Tiger

Well, I took the radiator, belts and fan off and discovered the pulley bolt and whatever resides in the crankshaft pulley are all gone. So the end of the crankshaft was just spinning in the pulley. Now my question is this . What all is missing? I know the bolt is, but what did it hold in place to lock it to the crankshaft. This is a 1984

300d turbo , can some>Motor Runs but no pulleys or belts are turning . Where do I start to
Reply to
nw

Seems like I'd remember to change my header , doesn't it? Well the car in question is a 300D (turbo)NOT 300SD. TIA--NW

Reply to
nw

Just go to the dealer and they can print out a schematic of parts you need.

Reply to
Tiger

OK ! Now I got a pulley bolt ,washer and dowels ordered. All of $15 in parts. I had mechanics look at pix of the crankshaft end and they physically inspected my harmonic balancer . I guess I left them scratchng their heads. As no damage was done to either. We can only figure whomever worked on the crankshaft last failed to torque it down (they told me to torque it 275 ft/lbs) and it backed out via vibration. if anybody has another idea as to what happened please feel free to speculate..The one thing that is really odd is that the harmonic balancer sheered both dowels in half . I guess without the bolt they are useless.--NW

Reply to
nw

You still need the dowels... you have to drill out the old one and press in a new one.

Reply to
Tiger

I've been away from the group since July. I had the same problem with my

1983 300D - You need the dowels. $4.00 part or you can't drive the car.

Pacman

Reply to
Pacman