Help, please. Battery Drain. 300SD

1984 300SD. I hopped in the car, stuck the key in the ignition, turned it and the seat started moving (!) and the starter turned slowly like being powered by a dead battery. I charged up the battery and the car started fine. I let it sit overnight and once again, when I tried to start it the seat would move and the engine would turn slowly: discharged battery (which tested twice as good). I pulled the fuses to the power seats to I do not know if this will shut down the seat power system since there seems to be a high-power circuit.

I am away from my tools and manuals thus I was forced to do a Google search. I could not find where the hot wire goes to the door and the seat. I want to disconnect the power to the seats until I have access to my garage and tools and can just run new wire to all those places that have suffered the wear of ages.

So, could someone please let me know where I can unhook the power to the seats? It seems obvious that this is a power seat issue caused by a 26 year, 280k miles-old wire. If I am wrong, please let me know. The battery light is running at half-brightness all the time and there is no indication the alt is charging.

Many thanks for your help.

Reply to
Oregon Gears and Sprockets
[...]

You have all the symptoms of a bad (read corroded) ground connection somewhere. For openers, I would check both ends of the negative battery cable.

JAS

Reply to
John Simpson

Ground cable... change it... it is easy and clean any rust spots.

I think there is a good possibility that your alternator voltage regulator is also bad... due to alternator light half lit.

Reply to
Tiger

Glad to see you guys are still here, although it looks like you are swimming in SPAM these days (those bastards).

The power seat immediately coming on seems to me to suggest a hung relay? Or perhaps as the OP suggested a shorted wire.

Tiger knows way more then little old me though... Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph