Wagon Question

Hi,

I am still driving my 1986 190e (about 165K miles now).

The car has been super reliable and I have enjoyed it a bunch. I bought the car when my wife got pregnant with our first child, as she didn't want me driving her around in my 1968 Buick. Anyhow my daughter is almost 7 now...

I am now looking at station wagons, hopefully one that can seat 6 or people.

I see there are a bunch of e320 Estates from various years and I wonder if you guys have any opinions (heh)?

Are there any year/models to avoid? Are there any that are better?

Thanks in advance for any info, and I am basically looking at 1998-2001 for a rough time frame, but would consider other years if they are recommended.

Thanks again, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

We have 2001 E320 sedan and it has been super reliable. You have to watch out for the cat converters... they seems to go bad at around 75000 miles or so. You hear popping noises.

Cats are around $400 or so per side for aftermarket... and there are two. so you need to consider the cost of cat replacement.

I would want to buy the latest model rather than earlier model unless you want the turbo diesel wagon... then the cat should not be an issue at all.

I am noticing that teh upper control arm ball joint is also has alot of play at this point... however, this car has been through more than normal amount of speed bumps.

Also there is an issue with the acrylic headlight lens... they tend to opaque out... but a headlight polishing kit will bring it back to crystal clear. Highly recommends cars with HID... it is really worth it.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the feedback Tiger! I do wonder, about how many miles do you personally think is doable on a used e320? I know my 190e had

100K+ when I bought it and that has been bulletproof with regards to the mechanicals (yes at 165K I am still running the original Tranny and it's fine).

Is it crazy to buy an e320 with 100K miles on it?

Thanks again, marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I have no doubt about the engine reliability... they will go as long you maintain it.

Transmission fluid does need to be changed often enough... like every 40000 miles... do not wait until 100K miles or lifetime. That is surefire way to have another hefty expense. However, they are super reliable when maintained.

Don't buy a car that has been hit from rear end... surely you will have transmission issue later in its life. My friend had a massive rear end accident... I warned him, his body shop said no problem and he listened to them... soon after he got the car back.... transmission was leaking like crazy and odd tranny failures.... not covered under insurance as it was several months after repair.

Reply to
Tiger