Help, pls. 98ML320 ECU

I need to ask for a bit of help in terms of advice...

RE: 98ML320..

Car will not start.... diagnosed by my mechanic who only does mercedes (he has ML computer).. as ECU...

ECU is getting the signal from the DAS unit, but ECU is not releasing signal to starter to start car. He can bridge it, and it will start....is there any way around a $2,000 repair job other than junking the car??

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

I suggest you take it to MB dealer to have that fixed. I don't think it is the ECU that is bad.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi, Tiger...

How've you been!

Here's where we're at:

It is indeed the ECU- what my mechanic (star) did was first, determine by codes that it was the ECU. He then traced each wire and narrowed it down that the ECU was not passing along the 'Ok' from the DAS unit, which took hours.

It was sent out and is being rebuilt- the circuit was confirmed bad (faulty transistors). I should be getting my repaired unit back, with lifetime warranty, and no reprogramming/marrying since it is the original and the eprom was untouched.

My moral, what I saved in getting the ECU repaired, is now most likely going to my mechanic in terms of labor.

I don't know what one would pay for labor to install a new ECU (how long does this take anyway?) but I have a suspicion that it's an easier job than what it is being made out to be, and of course, that must also cover his expertise and his MB computer...which of course he is entitled to...

My sec> I suggest you take it to MB dealer to have that fixed. I don't think

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Hi. I am doing good. It is good that everything is confirmed and at the least you didn't buy a new ECU at rediculous price. Rebuild is always cheaper and it seems like latest electronics are not as bulletproof as I thought it would be... then again, I don't know the statistic of the later models ECU being repaired.

It is always good to have some doubt... it keeps the mechanic honest.

Reply to
Tiger

Glad all is well!

I guess my mechanic wanted to absolutely isolate the ECU before comdeming it... unfortunately tracing and testing each wire takes time...per the company rebuilding it, they are known to fail... and rebuilding the original is cheaper than getting new or rebuilt..

Funny, about the only thing electronic in my first car, a used 64 chevy, was the radio!!

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie