Ford KA ECU Problem

Hi,

My car failed its MOT on high emissions, the mechanic looking at it says this is down to a faulty ECU which is telling the car to run rich all of the time. The mechanic is a family friend who knows what he is talking about, he also hates spending money and ripping drivers off so I know I can trust him!

ECU's from Ford run up to £500, he knows someone who can possibly repair the ECU and I am hopefull that will work.

Has anyone used

at all, itis a company based in Nottingham and they seem to be quite cheap. If mymechanic cannot get it repaired I would like to try them for repair and ifnot replacement of the faulty ECU. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Moo

Reply to
Moo

The message from "Moo" contains these words:

Yeah - check it ain't the temperature sender! They're rather cheaper than ECUs.

Reply to
Guy King

Bingo, problem solved, what a friendly and useful place these newsgroups are :-)

Come on England, equalise!!!!!! If they allow it that is.

Anyway, I'm off to see Bill Bailey tomorrow night, which should be a good laugh, and some of his act is to encourage us, as British people, to crave disappointment, and actually enjoy it when it happens, so if we do go out (no, don't say that) then I'll be taught how to enjoy the disappointment. Or something.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yep. Or thermostat, which would stop the engine ever really warming up.

Reply to
Doki

BTW, if you fancy a new ECU, there'll be one on my Ka. Breaking it for bits, and not a million miles from Nottingham.

Reply to
Doki

In message , Doki writes

What happened to your Ka?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I put it on its roof, then its wheels, then its roof, and then its wheels again.

Reply to
Doki

oops - when / how did you do that? you ok?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In message , Doki writes

Nothing too serious then?

;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Doesn't it need to be encoded to work with my car/keys??

Reply to
Moo

Probably.

You'd probably need the lockset as well. Or at least the ignition barrel and transponder receiver.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm fine. Google's not going to get me :D.

Reply to
Doki

Got a set of 3, which is enough to get a new key cut without having the locks recoded. OTOH, you can get them done for £60, with 3 new keys.

Reply to
Doki

I'd say it's pretty unlikely to be the ECU - it's usually one of the output devices that fails, and that wouldn't cause it to run rich.

ATP tend to be the favourites. They can test them and supply exchange units if necessary.

Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

What strange behaviour.

Reply to
Guy King

ECU's normally work or dont- they do not make the engine run rich for no reason- only react to the inputs they are given. Find a new mechanic.

In order of probable cause:

1) Engine not at running temp- without a gauge this is tricky to judge on a Ka- use a thermometer in the header tank immediately after a 15 min run at speed- coolant should be 90 degrees. If not - new thermostat etc.

2) Cat not at running temp- idling in the workshop pre test is not enough to keep the cat lit up.

3) CTS faulty- read voltage at ecu- look for around 0.6v at 90 degrees c.

Do this first then come back to us.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Won't work usless it comes with keys (plus lock barrels ) or you have it re coded to recipient's keys.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

atp-electronics are the ppl for ecu repair, wouldnt bother with anyone else, they usually come back with more faults than they went with...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Ah. That accounts for a few things, then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Dave Baker writes

I rolled a Mk1 Escort nearly 30 years ago. It only did one and a half rolls. It would have done more if it wasn't for the Morris Minor van coming the other way impeding my progress. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was a write off and the moggy owner charged me £80 for a second hand bonnet and wing and repaired it himself.

Reply to
Paul Giverin