I did engine flush

ENGINE FLUSH (CLEAN)

190D 2.5 1987: (takes 7 liters oil)

Here is what I did roughly:

  1. regular oilchange 10W30 dino oil every 1000 km - 3 times: 3000 km in all. New oil filter every time.

  1. Drain oil and fill up with:

- 4 liters of dino oil

- 2 liters og diesel oil

- 1 liter of ATF oil Run the car for about 50 kilomters.

  1. Drain and fill up with:

- 2 liters of dino oil

- 5 liters of diesel oil Run engine for 30 seconds idle.

  1. Drain and fill up with 7 liters of good prefered oil like 5W50 synth or dino. I use 10W50 synthetic.

Now your oil is nice and clean.

Once dirty again then repeat steps 3. and 4.

Happy driving. Niels

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

Hi Niels,

thanks for sharing your procedure.

I got my 87 190D 2.5 just 6 months ago, and just changed my oil once after the shop flushed it, after 8000 miles drive. I sensed from the drained oil, that it should have been changed earlier.

My questions are:

  1. what is "dino" oil ?
  2. what is "diesel oil"?
  3. why ATF oil.

thanks a lot. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou

"Benjamin F. Zhou" skrev i en meddelelse news:Qnxpc.32110$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

AD. 1. "Dino" oil is just a popular ord for convensional oil ie. mineral oil.

AD. 2. "Diesel oil" is diesel fuel. Diesel is an oil.

AD. 3. ATF is a good cleaner. You can use it to wash your hands in it. It does a great job of taking out dirt. Also you can drop in 1-2 liters of ATF in your tank to clean pump and nossles.

Basicly any veg oil is a good cleaner. The egyptians used veg oil to clean themselfs. Try cleaning your hands in rapeseed ol or any veg oil - your hands will be very clean after you flush them with water and soap.

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

"Benjamin F. Zhou" skrev i en meddelelse news:Qnxpc.32110$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

If your engine is relatively clean with no slug and dirt on metal then just flush using procedure 3 and 4 before mentioned:

  1. Drain and fill up with:

- 2 liters of dino oil

- 5 liters of diesel oil Run engine for 30 seconds idle.

  1. Drain and fill up with 7 liters of good prefered oil like 5W50 synth or dino. I use 10W50 synthetic.

Change oilfilter and pre-diesel fuel filter (FRAM filter) located righthand side under airfilter. If it is black and dirty it might be hard to spot but it is there - change it. And also change the primary diesel fuel filter if you are unsure if it has been changed lately.

Niels

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

Hi Niels,

Many thanks for the tips. The first time I happened to pour in oil of the wrong grad 10w30, which according to the manual, is only for low temperature. So I replaced the oil the next day, after 70 miles drive. But I was suprised at how dirty it already got. I think I need a kind of flush as you did.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou

"Benjamin F. Zhou" skrev i en meddelelse news:xuEqc.70528$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...

It will become dirty again pretty quick but it is nice to know it was and is clean when one changes oil so one can use the new "dirt" as a messurement.

My oil is now brownish again but far from black. Don't worry about that.

It is also nice to know that there is no thick black sediment left. My mb had lots and lots of sediment left over from the previous owner - lots I tell you.

And the pre-fule filter was as dirty and black as a 200 year old chimney.

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

Thanks for sharing that technique with us, but I am slightly puzzed by it. Obviously that's your car and you can do as you wish with it, but why don't you just use an engline flush additive (like Castrol Engine Flush)?

  1. Add the flushing agent to your oil.
  2. Idle for 15 mins.
  3. Drain and refill with fresh oil... done!

After all it is tricky responsibily getting rid of 7 litres of old engine oil; let alone the amount that a Clean Engine Flush as per your description would generate.

300Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

You are right. But the idea of figuring things out and draining and flushing oneself using own methode like not using special cleaning additives I feel is a good job done.

My "new" secondhand mb 190 D 2.5 was as dirty as you can imagine - lots of sediment. I could not figure why after adding new oil after a drain the oil was as dirty as before - the sediment did not all drain out and coloured the new oil very quickly.

So after thinking about it and reading up on dirty oil in mb diese engines I figured it must have been that the sediment was simply floating around even after 3 oil drains so I wanted to add a thin oil to flush the engine which did the trick.

A real good flush and cleanout with very thin oil aka 5 liters of diesel fuel and 2 liters cheap regular engine oil - that does it it seems to me. Very clean inside indeed.

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

There is no need to flush the engine... just do the normal oil change every

3000 miles and eventually the engine will clean itself up.

If you want better oil, consider using synthetic diesel engine oil. and that will clean very well... especially the upper ends where valves are.

Diesel oil will turn black in just one city block (pretty much) and it is normal for diesel engine. The key to longevity of diesel engine is routine

3000 miles oil change... unless you got a late 90's and new diesel engine... then follow MB specified intervals...

Older MB's... change your oil every 3000 miles.

Reply to
Tiger