Re: DIY Oil change in a 2002 Subaru Forester?

Can anyone give me any tips or things to look out for when I do the oil

>change? Also, any recommendations on after market filters and oil >products would be great!

Basically, just do it. It helps to be able to get under the car. 17mm socket fits the drain plug, and I use a large pair of Channel-loc pliers to get the filter. 4 bolts hold the splash guard in place, plus a couple pesky plastic fasteners at the upper rear corners. Use a small flat screwdriver to gently lift the center pin ~1/4 inch, and then pull the whole thing out. It's easier the second time . . . I like Castrol GTX in 10W30, and change filters every other oil change, but I change oil at 3-4K mile intervals. I use either an OEM filter, the "upgraded" Fram item, or, if I can find 'em, Purolator "Pure-One" filters. Takes 4 quarts w/o filter change, 4 1/2 with. (This for the SOHC motor; I _think_ the DOHC is the same, but ???)

ByeBye! S.

If you jack the car up, PUT SOME BLOCKS OR AXLE STANDS UNDER IT before YOU go under it. Don't die doing an oil change.

I've had some success at poking a hole in the filter with a screwdriver and letting that drain before unscrewing it. It at least changed HOW the oil spills onto my arm. I use a Fumoto drain valve - and love it.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Hi,

I've used the screwdriver trick, or a nail thru the end of the filter, and as you said, you're mostly redirecting which part of your arm gets burned! Another trick I've used that ~sometimes~ makes life painless is to break the oil filter loose about one full turn BEFORE opening your drain valve--not quite enough for oil to start leaking. Take off the oil filler cap so you get lots of air thru the engine, then open the drain valve. Once the oil's out of the sump and has drained a few minutes, remove the filter. About half the time I can get the filter off w/o even spilling a drop. The other half the time there's a little driposis, but not bad. I don't know why it's a hit or miss proposition unless the anti-drainback valve sometimes does a better job than other times?

It might be worth a try to see how it works on your engine!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright