Identify this part, win a million dollars

OK, how about just a big think you?

Purchased a 1966 250s that was sitting for 10 years. Somewhat dismantled. I cleaned up the engine, prepped it, ran fuel from a fresh tank of gas, and I'll be damned, the thing fired up!

I'm all proud of myself, walk to the front of the car, only to see oil gushing out of a hole in the middle of this nut in the case of the engine (see link below for picture)

I've looked in the three manuals I have, nothing says what this nut is, or what is supposed to be in this hole in the center of this nut.

I appreciate your help - sorry for it being a silly, simple question, but it is only silly & simple if you know the answer!

Reply to
iNet

Have you asked MB Classic? BTW, don't give them a million buck... ;o)

Reply to
Tiger

Looks like it could be output that should run to an oil cooler? Please keep in mind this is a total guess, but for a million bucks, I figured I had to guess.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

That is the oil spray to keep the fan belts from squeaking. LOLL.

Seriously though it is not a nut, but part of the oil pressure gauge line. The line is not there, but the gland nut is. You have the same thing on the oil pressure gauge.

Cold engine and engine at idle you will have 3 plus bar of pressure. Enough to empty the crank case of its oil supply in a very short time. So be careful or you engine will be running without oil.

You can give the zillion bucks to your favorite charity.

Reply to
TOM ASH

I thought about that also, but doesn't it seem strange for the gauge tube to come out the FRONT of the engine?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Ummm, just a guess, but could it be where an oil pressure sensor should be? Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD

In article ,

Dude, this is a Mercedes 108. You havn't even begun to find strange things yet. Hows the heater fan?

Windshield washer pump? Greased it yet? I mean all 22 grease points?

Reply to
Richard