Help me identify this part

I ordered new strut bearings for my '71 SB from CIP1. I received them a couple of days ago. Tonight, I disassembled the first strut and when I was reassembling, I noticed that the strut bearings they sent are very different from the ones in my car. Check the following pictures:

I've already sent an e-mail off to CIP1 customer service regarding the issue. Anyone familiar with these? Does it look like the new one is more for a '73 1/2 and newer Super? I can't find pictures of these bloody things anywhere on the internet, let alone much of anyone who sells them.

Reply to
Malcolm

Looks like they sent you the later one.

Reply to
Peter

What part number did they have?

133 412 345 fits all.

Reply to
Karl
113 412 329 B fits 71-73 133 412 345 fits 74-79
Reply to
Peter

The part number on the site was the 113 412 329 B. I got this response from CIP1:

"Although the new part looks a little different, you do have the correct replacement part and it will fit and work properly. There is only 1 manufacture in the world for this item now, and we have been selling this bearing mount for the last year or so without any problem. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance."

--------

That's fine with me. Unfortunately, there are no printed instructions with it and all of my manuals (Bentley and "that other manual that isn't a Chilton" (sorry, the name escapes me)) show the older bearing. I can see where it might work with the right combination of spacers and such. The metal bell on the bottom of the new one, however, rides on the top of the spring plate if you bolt it down onto the top of the assembly as-is.

I'll go home this evening and see if I can figure it out, I guess.

Reply to
Malcolm

Well, I tried to make it work with a combination of big washers and such. Got it all bolted together, finally. When I went to put the assembly back under the body, I found that the metal part is too big around for the hole through the body.

Seeing as how it is like 85 degrees with 99% humidity outside (and in the garage) at night, I gave up for the evening. Tomorrow, I'll disassemble it again, remove the new bearing and put the old one back on. At least it fits and still works. The new one has obvious signs of attempted installation, so I guess returning them is out of the question now.

Live and learn.

Reply to
Malcolm

Erm.....Why not just make the hole bigger???

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Wow...I thought the late model super mounts weren't available, period. But you got yourself two of them. :) You need to exchange for the early style(71 to 73 1/2), the two are not compatible.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Yeah, if only I could. CIP1 claims that the mounts I have (that they shipped me) *ARE* the 71 to 73 1/2 mounts.

So now that I have a more definitive answer, I'll start the bidding on the mounts at $50 plus shipping. :-)

Reply to
Malcolm

The thought briefly occurred to me. But, since they are the wrong mounts (see additional posts, below), no use rigging up something that might end up collapsing in the future (I had a stack of washers under the bearing to make it fit).

Reply to
Malcolm