Pulling 96 5.8L upper intake

I was looking over the upper intake manifold on my 96 F350. I need to pull it so I can change my PCV valve and might as well do the TPS while its out. I understand how to get it out except for one bolt that I can barely see. There is what appears to be a Torx head bolt way underneath there, and I would like some advice on how to get to this bolt and what, if any, special tool I need to get to it. Thanks!

Reply to
carl mciver

Carl, here is a site you can go to and get basically a repair manual for free on your truck..

This covers just about any engine you could possibly have in the 87-93yr range. I see the bolt on the diagrams that you are talking about, and there should be an access hole, just large enough to be a Torx driver down in. I have used this site many a times so that I dont have to buy tech manuals for alot of different cars. You got lucky, they cover your truck. This all usually comes straight out of a haynes manual. Good Luck, Pk

Reply to
pkurtz2

You know what? I just did the same job about a year ago and I can't remember the details of that torx to save my life. The irritating thing is that it seems you need a long, narrow torx socket because the space in there is so narrow.

The only thing I do remember is that I was unable to get a torque wrench on that one when I reinstalled the plenum, but that may have been a space consideration since mine was in a van.

Best suggestion I have for you is call your Ford dealer and ask one of the techs what size torx it is and what they suggest. The techs I've talked to have been pretty helpful on that stuff.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The bolt is a T-40 Torx. Snap-On has a version with a 6.5" long bit specifically for this job, part # FTXEL40E

Before the tool came out, we used to glue a T-40 1/4" hex bit into a 1/4"X1/4" drive socket and get them that way.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ah, exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you greatly! Another good reason to see if I can go buy more tools, although I think I have a T-40 bit in a set somewhere.

Reply to
carl mciver