Idle Control on '93 E300

My '93 E300 (3.2lt. dohc) has developed an un-steady idle at times. Follows not rime or reason. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. Right now its less times then often but it appears to be occurring more often.

Idle will waver from low to high, up and down continuously till it stalls. If the air conditioner is on (and its nearly always on) it stalls easier (sooner). Its fine on the highway but in traffic its a nightmare.

My Mechanic says its most likely an Idle Control Unit. He says eventually it will stick to a higher position at around 1500 RPM's.

I am trying to find the part online. All I can find is a Idle Control Valve which cost about $160 USD. From what he was describing, it doesn't sound like the same thing.

Anyone think they know what it is? Part name?

Reply to
SST

Most likely the MAF meter. Your car has code flash retrieval system. Get the codes ...

Reply to
AJDalton7

There is a little square box in front of the battery Lift the cover and you will see a dignostic connector with a led and push button switch. Turn key on, press sw and hold for 2-3 sec , release and a flash code will come back Count the flashes and do it again til the original repeats. Write them down

Reply to
AJDalton7

I've just recently spent $430cdn on my idling problem... it turned out that because my car stalled so badly that I had to restart multiple times during one of my drives home, I had to get my alternator replaced (refurbished) as it wouldn't crank up after I got home.

After fixing the alternator, my idling was somewhat better and since I didn't want to spend any more $$ replacing whatever is causing my idling in the first place, I had the mechanic crank up the idling rpm to 1000 and in the meantime look for a replacement vehicle so that I can get rid of my 190E '93 cash pit.

Anybody know if I got hosed? They charged my $375+taxes for replacing the alternator plus labour.. labour in their shop was only $55/hr and total time to take it out and replaced didn't take more than 1hr (I know cause I was there watching them)... the most time consuming part was that the auto shop had to bring the alternator to a shop that specializes refurbishing alternators...

R Green Technical Support

Reply to
R Green -WoWsat.com