Interchangable parts

Does anyone know if parts like oil filters, distributor caps and rotors and fuel injection components (like a cold start valve, fuel pump and etc) are interchangable between a 1984 500SEL and a 1982 500SL? Most websites won't let you select a euro car for parts, but I was just wondering if the engines in both these cars share the same parts. The

1984 500SEL or SEC is the closest I can get to a 1982 500SL. Thanks!
Reply to
PaulG

Maybe. Probably. Dunno for sure. They're noth variants on the M117 motor and I'm not into V8's. Look here though:

Richard Sexton

My supplier offers Euro 500SL parts... It will say "EU" when you select the model.

Tiger

Thanks for the link. I have added it to my favorites list. That should be a big help.

I'm still curious if the M117 in the '82 500SL and the '84 500SEL/SEC share the same components though. I can't imagine that Mercedes would have reinvented the wheel for each car.

Reply to
PaulG

Hahahahahha. Mercedes sometimes used different parts for he SAME car/engine. That's why when ordering a part you may be asked for a VIN # - there's this magic in the MB parts world called "VIN breaks", like, up to #xxxxx it used this part and after that it used that part instead.

They've got a right funny sense of humor sometimes.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Exactly as Richard say... whoo... talk about needing VIN number to get it right for dealer items... My diesel takes alot of special parts that need VIN number to get it right.

Reply to
Tiger

IMHO, Mercedes use of different parts for the same engine is a result from a constant development of the engine during production/lifetime, not humor...:-) Same goes for other parts of the car.

I urge you to have a look at this page:

Both your cars are listed there and you can look up the part numbers yourself and compare. The magic number that Richard is talking about is the last 6 digits of your VIN.

I do not think that Mercedes invent a "new" part, that is the same as another but with different number, just to have people to pay more.

Many parts on my W140 is beginning with 124 or 210 to indicate that they was first made for those models.

Read also some of the documents here about the part system in Mercedes:

br, syljua

Reply to
Øyvind S