Aftermarket brake parts

I'm helping a friend replace worn brake pads on an '02 Audi A6 wagon.

The dealer wants $275 for a rear wheel kit. That's pretty pricey (I think my factory Porsche pads are cheaper). Who makes (and who sells) aftermarket parts of reasonable quality?

Some cars are pretty finiky about brake pads, some aren't (with respect to wear, squealing, etc.). I'm not certain where Audi stands.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

your best bet is to likely find a VW/Audi forum and ask there (maybe the Vortex?) I'd like to recommend something, but I replace brakes so infrequently that I'm about 5 years behind. I'm trying a set of the new ceramic pads on my pickup now, but haven't got it back from the shop yet. Porsche is still wearing the Metal Masters that were on it when I bought it :/ I should really send off my spare calipers to be rebuilt one of these days but brakes for me last pretty much forever (save in my company cars, likely thanks to slushboxes with loose torque convertors)

"best" is subjective and varies from person to person anyway. The factory pads are probably a good compromise for average street driving, does your friend have a specific complaint with them? e.g. dusting, fade, pad life, rotor life, noise, other? (I can tell you that Metal Masters are sometimes noisy, which doesn't bother me, and the dust is awful nasty stuff, which does.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

There are usually premium brake parts available from aftermarket suppliers which meet or exceed OEM specs. And they are usually a bit cheaper.

NAPA is usually a good place to start.

Audi is a car, just like a damn Malibu is.

Dont be automatically herded into the Audi dealership, I would counsel.

A lot of dealership parts cost 2-3 times as much as quality aftermarket, and are not one bit better, if as good.

Reply to
hls

I bet the factory pads are either Mintex or Ferodo, but I could be wrong. Buying those pads in a box that says Mintex instead of VW/Audi may give you the same quality for less money. but like I said before check an Audi specific forum for recommends.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"hls" wrote in news:o5GdnYhkvZEhoL3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Don't count Honda or Toyota in your list. OEM from either is WAY better than anything the aftermarket supplies.

Reply to
Tegger

Prove it, Tegger ;>)

Reply to
hls

I am with tegger. Honda and Toyota OEM pads are the best. Akebono would be second choice. Everything else is a wast of time.

Reply to
jfran

This is completely wrong.

Reply to
jfran

No, it isnt. Your saying that is it has no relation to anything. I am speaking broadly, but I have bought aftermarket parts for GM which bear the SAME number as the GM parts, at .25-.33 the cost.

So be a bit more specific.

WTF do you think most manufacturers buy their parts...they dont make them, generally. They specify and buy from suppliers which are, coincidentally,in the aftermarket.

There may be exceptions, but there is a lot of money wasted on dealership parts which is money pissed away.

Reply to
hls

as for GM, the OE brown box pads are a completely different compound than the delco durastop pad. will it work, yes. but it is not the same. If you want quality, buy OE

Reply to
jfran

as for GM, the brown box OE pads are not the same as the delco durastop. The compound is completely different. Will it work, yes. The OE pad is a better pad in my opinion and worth the extra money. I know the the suppliers are the same, but the pad is different.

Reply to
jfran

as for GM, the brown box OE pads are not the same as the delco durastop. The compound is completely different. Will it work, yes. The OE pad is a better pad in my opinion and worth the extra money. I know the the suppliers are the same, but the pad is different.

*********** There are many pad compositions to choose from, from various aftermarket suppliers. You can find materials, IMO, which are as good as or better than OEM in the after market. You wont do it at certain FLAPS, but you CAN find them and they will normally be much cheaper than at the dealership.
Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:xdidnaA8XMlW1b3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Prove otherwise, hls.

Unfortunately, neither of us can prove anything one way or another on a Usenet forum.

Much of my Toyota and Honda car-owning life I used aftermarket pads. After suffering numerous constant problems such as rust, vibration, soft pedal feel, blued rotors, pad friction material that didn't quite match rotor friction surface, and pads so thick the anti-squeal shims could not be used, I tried OEM and have not gone back to aftermarket since. That was about 12-14 years ago.

Reply to
Tegger

And that was my point.

Reply to
hls

Pure and simple sophistry.

I see. So your dated, generalized, limited experience constitutes and justifies an all sweeping statement that "OEM ... is WAY better than ANYTHING (my caps for emphasis) the aftermarket supplies" I again direct you to my above characterization.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

I would have to agree. I have seen examples where the original factory brakes lasted half as long as the after market products that replaced them. And of course there are after market products that can last half as long as the OEM. Sweeping generalizations about one or the other category are not likely to be correct. The thing about brake pads is that about 25 years ago asbestos was eliminated from them. Prior to that there was very little debate about who made the best pads.

-jim

Reply to
jim

One of the issues is who really "makes" the pads. I am sure there are good manufacturers and less good ones, and I suspect that the auto manufacturers sub their needs out to these people.

If you could be sure that the aftermarket pad you are buying is exactly the same as or somewhat better than the OEM (letting oranges roughly be equal to oranges), then I believe you will find the dealership prices are substantially higher than the aftermarket suppliers. Maybe 3-4 times higher, at times.

Reply to
hls

What's in the "rear wheel kit"? Just Pads? or also discs? That makes a big difference! $275 for pads only is way too much...sounds like they quoted you retail...The "go away and don't bother me" price.

What engine/model A6? FWD or Quattro?...it may make a difference too.

Anyway...Check out

They carry OEM parts as well as quality aftermarket parts...some of which are the OEM suppliers for VW/Audi.

Looks like under $150 for decent pads AND discs shipped...

If you aren't sure what pads you want, call 'em for advice. Not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer.

--Don

Don Byrer KJ5KB Power & Glider Pilot Guy kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

"hls" wrote in news:d5Wdnch2ztNrgbzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I agree. But the problem is finding aftermarket that is, in fact, exactly like OEM. There's so much out there, and so much that isn't much good.

Personally, regarding Honda and Toyota only (as I originally limited my reply), I have not seen any aftermarket brake pads that equalled OEM for all-round performance.

Reply to
Tegger

No, it's true.

Mind you, it's ALSO true that a lot of them are substantially better than aftermarket parts.

And it's also true that some of the aftermarket parts are very, very bad.

But I can buy a Brembo kit from the BMW dealer, or I can buy a Brembo kit from Bavarian Motorsport, and the price difference is substantial for the same part made to the same specs.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey