Simple car!

What make, year, model car could a man get for a every day driver that would be as simple and easy to work on as possible, like Manual trans, Rear wheel drive. Inline 6 cylinder, Power nothing! need A/C.No struts, no power steering ,no power brakes. no computor. I have a Model A ford lets stay a little later model!

Reply to
taters2

I would say that a 1964-1969 Rambler American would fit the bill. (For that matter so would most of the U.S. domestic compacts from that time period, take your pick.)

Reply to
pdp11

There are none since about 1970 or so and I doubt there ever will be. To achieve the fuel standards of today's cars, a minimal computer is needed. Same with a lot of safety devices mandated by the government.

I've not even changed my own oil since 1991 when it was a real PITA on my new Regal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You won't find anything new like that (at least not in the US) and anything old enough is likely to be too unreliable and hard to find parts for to be used as a daily driver. In some ways, new cars ARE easier to work on, since you don't have to do much to them in terms of maintenance. Distributor caps, rotors, points and condensers are history. Modern oils, especially synthetics, allow for longer oil change intervals. Spark plugs and wires can last 60-100K miles, depending on type. Essentially, maintenance consists of little more than replacing fluids and filters. It's typical for a new car to last 200K miles or more. Whether you like it or not, newer cars are better in virtually every respect.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Maybe a Mexican VW Beetle. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Get a new Hyundai Accent for a bit over $10,000 . One of the NG members has over 220,000 miles on his and its still going strong. If you want a real basic older car, my 1970 Corvette with manual trans. is for sale but it has 540 h.p. -- it will get you down to the grocery store fast and back home to watch WW2 movies though.

____________________________________________ Featured Best Seller Book : "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist" (a fair appraisal of what Atheists DO believe in for their worldview). Address:

Dave in Lake Villa