losing hydraulic oil in 87 300TD

I just had the whole suspension replaced about 3 weeks ago in LA. I haven't been watching the fluid level so I don't know how long it has been leaking but the reservoir is completely empty and I am leaving Seattle for home on Monday.

If it is a leak at the reservoir and the lines remain full am I ok to drive? I think I remember that if the system loses its oil all the parts are in danger right? I'm not really sure what to do right now.

thanks,

Mike

Reply to
docmaas

Running the pump without fluid will damage it. The rear suspension will sag eventually. Can you get back to the shop that did the work?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I ran the pump without fluid for 5k or more miles while I was deciding whether to invest in the repair or not. I plan to go back to that shop in 10 days or so but the shop is in Los Angeles and I am in Seattle. At the very least I either have to get the leak fixed or continue filling it with fluid till I get back to the shop. I first noticed the fluid yesterday. But to confuse matters I also hit the pan on a rock a couple weeks ago and it has been repaired 2x by different people. so the hydraulic fluid could have been leaking for quite a while and I didn't notice it. But I was checking after the last repair and didn't see anything till yesterday.

I guess I'll have to make sure it isn't leaking one way or the other before I leave.

thanks,

Mike

Reply to
docmaas

If you see no leaks externally, then i would be checking your engine oil, since the pump can fail and leak internaly back into the engine.

Reply to
taxman

Not possible on an '87 300TD. The suspension pump and power steering are one belt driven unit.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

| | Not possible on an '87 300TD. The suspension pump and power steering are one | belt driven unit. |

ahh touché, I should of known.

Reply to
taxman