87 Camry: Power Steering Fluid leaking - safe to drive ?

Hi Folks --
87 Camry - 230K miles - 4 cyinder
Power Steering fluid keeps leaking in my 87 Camry. At this time, the reservoir is completely empty ..
Steering feels fine .. from a cold start when I turn, it does not retract back well. Once the car is running it feels fine with no noticeable lag.
My question is ... is it safe to drive the car with power steering fluid gone ? I am hoping to avoid putting more money where it is not critical.
Thx

I'm far from an expert on such matters, but yes, you can do damage to the power steering and to yourself when your car is uncontrollable in the near future. Is there something that stops you from replenishing the reservoir? Or replacing the leaking part? At the very least, you must replenish the reservoir before driving more. If cost is a factor, the cost will be a LOT greater when your power steering fails.

At the very least keep filling the ressrvoir. How long does it take to empty it.
Johnny UK.
No it's not safe, get it fixed. W/O power assist (pump) you already need a lot more effort in steering. My concern is if lack of lubrication causes the rack seizes up then you're in real big trouble, not to mention the drivers next to you.
How about checking junkyards and see what kind of a deal you can get? Or try www.carparts.com www.pickapart.com. While I always believe a beat up old car is just a beat up old car, a rebuilt rack with lifetime replacement warranty is about $150 + an alignment (~$60-70 on a good Hunter alignment machine). That's only 3 tanks of gas. :) :) :)

No it's not safe, get it fixed. W/O power assist (pump) you already need a lot more effort in steering. My concern is if lack of lubrication causes the rack seizes up then you're in real big trouble, not to mention the drivers next to you.
How about checking junkyards and see what kind of a deal you can get? Or try www.carparts.com www.pickapart.com. While I always believe a beat up old car is just a beat up old car, a rebuilt rack with lifetime replacement warranty is about $150 + an alignment (~$60-70 on a good Hunter alignment machine). That's only 3 tanks of gas. :) :) :)
Three tanks? try TWO tanks. : - (
Yeah I hear you. Oil is nearing $150/barrel as predicted, and some are already talking >$200. Parts catalogs show some Camrys run on natrual gas, so for some a retrofit may be an option.