Mercedes 190D Engine Identification Number Location

I have a 1984 190D. The engine has been replaced and I do not know if it is a 2.2 like was originally in it or if it was upgraded to a 2.5. Can anyone please tell me where to find the engine identification number? Or any other way to easily tell? An injector line broke at the injector and I need to order a new one but there are two different lines for the 2.2 and the 2.5.

Thanks, David

Reply to
david.ellis

They are stamped on the engine block... usually only visible from the bottom of the car... looking onto the engine block.

Reply to
Tiger

Well...... you might just count the cylinders..... last time I looked, a 2.2D has 4 of them..... the

2.5 has 5!

Reply to
Karl

Pretty funny. I can't come up with a witty enough response based on your obvious observation from the information I provided...

I was told that the car doesn't have the original 2.2 and that it was upgraded to a 2.5. Yes, I guess the 2.5 was a 5 cyclinder and the engine in there is only an underpowered 4. Was there anything above a

2.2 that was still a 4 cyclinder that fit into a 1984 190D, like a 2.3 or 2.4? I don't remember either of those. Maybe it is just a 2.2 in there... Thanks David
Reply to
david.ellis

No larger engines in the 601 series.

Sorry. No witty answer this time:)

Reply to
Karl

In US market, the 4 cylinder diesel fitted in 190D (W201) is only 2.2. There is a 2.3 gas engine. Later model years have a 2.5 diesel (5 cyl., don't remember with or w/o turbo), or 2.6 gas (6 cyl.)

The 2.2 diesel is the simplest (in control). Switching to any other requires different wiring/cluster/vacuum. Also, I think the transmission and possibly the rear axle need to match to maintain the power/driving characteristic.

In my opinion, it is less work/money to find another 190 with the engine/power you want. However, once I am used to the 2.2 (I have the

84 too), it does not bother me at all. It starts slow but does not go that slow. Also, count> Pretty funny.
Reply to
Wan-ning Tan