Mercedes 220 D

I'm looking for opinion about Mercedes 220 D/ no cdi/ 1998 r - 70 kw. What do you think about the engine? Is it not too week for that auto ? pozdr

Reply to
Tolo

do you think about the engine? Is it not too week for

220CDI C Class? It's good for 238km/h, good enough for any kind of driving in Poland.

cp

Reply to
cp

Your question is a good one - is this 2.2L diesel powerful enough for this car.

Depends on the car's use. If most driving is in a city it should be fine. Power is needed for rapid acceleration, passing and hill climbing, so if these are your driving conditions I would suggest you test drive it that way to see, first hand, if its power is adequate or whether a larger, or CDI, motor would be a better choice.

Top speed is not the issue, it's the time needed to reach its top speed.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

If it is an E-Class, then 1998 = W210 (pre-MOPF)

70 kw = 95 PS, non-CDI diesel

Sedan only with that engine

5-speed manual trans Vmax 180 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,0 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 177 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,4 s

If it`s an C-Class, then 1998 = W202 MOPF

70 kw = 95 PS, non-CDI diesel

Sedan

5-speed manual trans Vmax 175 km/h 0-100 km/h = 16,3 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 172 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,4 s

T-model

5-speed manual trans Vmax 172 km/h 0-100 km/h = 16,6 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 170 km/h 0-100 km/h = 17,0 s

Of course they`re no race-cars, but I can`t see why they should be too weak/slow for normal driving.

But of course that`s an opinion only from a guy who once drove for years (in city) 55 PS automatic W123 sedans, Vmax 125 km/h, 0-100 km/h 33,2 s ...

Juergen - now faster with 1982 240D auto, 138 km/h, 24,7 s ;-))

Reply to
Juergen .

do you think about the engine? Is it not too week for

I can`t see him referring to a certain series so it might be C-Class sedan or T-model or E-Class sedan.

You refer to the current C-Class W203 (next year successor W204 will come), which has a 110 kw/150 PS CDI-engine.

Sedan

6-speed manual trans Vmax 180 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,1 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 218 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,3 s

Only W203 C-Class model with Vmax 238 km/h is C230 with

7G-TRONIC

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

do you think about the engine? Is it not too week for

I can`t see him referring to a certain series so it might be C-Class sedan or T-model or E-Class sedan.

You refer to the current C-Class W203 (next year successor W204 will come), which has a 110 kw/150 PS CDI-engine.

Sedan

6-speed manual trans Vmax 224 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,1 s 5-speed auto trans Vmax 218 km/h 0-100 km/h = 10,3 s

Only W203 C-Class model with Vmax 238 km/h is C230 with

7G-TRONIC

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .
17 seconds???!!! to 100 Kmh? Isn't that a tad slow?
Reply to
Tiger

I, very sorry about a mess I caused. I meand w202 / 1998/ c-class with automatic gear. I'll be very greatfull for opinion people who are using it. pozdr tolo

Reply to
Tolo

Depends on your view...

How long does a UPS truck need for 0-100 km/h?

Are they ever late because of their trucks?

How important is acceleration for the time needed to go from A to B under normal driving conditions?

How important is acceleration in a traffic jam?

How important is acceleration when the car is parked?

Not that I don`t have cars faster than the 240D, but I can't remember ever to have been late because of the car used.

But of course a 95 PS car is not _fast_ - but when one needs a _fast_ car I recommend at least 230 PS in a C-Class, preferably a C55 AMG with 270 kw/367 PS.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

No mess, no reason to apologize!

_I_ - and I can only speak for ME - do NOT find the engine is too weak for the car _under normal driving conditions_.

In case you fully load the car, tow a trailer and live in the mountains, I would definitely choose a more powerful engine. Maximum speed on Polish Motorways is 130 km/h so 170+ km/h should be enough for that.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Well, the speedo said ~237km/h, from Hannover to Berlin =) does Mercedes exagerate their speedos as well? I hear Audi and others do...

cp

Reply to
cp

From experience, 130km/h in Poland is only safe on a train =) (I'm polish, or at least used to be, ha!)

cp

Reply to
cp

Oh its acceleration to typical highway speed is quite good

cp

Reply to
cp

Juergen, where there any 5spd 300D w123's available?

cp

Reply to
cp

American mindset. We got rednecks around here burning rubber just 'cause they can.

cp

Reply to
cp

Yes, 300D (non-Turbo, OM 617.912 65 kw/88 PS), option starting 02/1982.

Final drive ratio was identical to 4-speed (3,46), all forward gears were a slight bit longer, 5th was 0,81.

5-speed man trans in the W123 series also was available from 02/1982 on for other diesels, 200D, 240D, 240TD, 300TD plus some exotic versions like 240D long or 240D partly bodied chassis.

And earlier - from 10/1981 on - it was available for the gasoline versions 200, 200T, 230E, 230TE, 230CE,

250, 250T, 280E, 280TE and 280CE.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Were the 5 speeds available in the US in a 123 240D?

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I've never heard of a 5 speed 240D. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Reply to
Helen

Mostly you're right, but it depends where do you live and drive.

Reply to
Tolo

LOL... I don't know... I was thinking of how fast American drivers are on highway... and you are trying to accelerate to meet that speed of usually 75 MPH... Ya know... you don't want to get rear ended by stupid drivers.

Reply to
Tiger