Mercedes 500 SEL No dash lights

1984 Mercedes 500 SEL Ok. I have checked these forums and 99% of the time it seems to be the rheostat. I removed it and made a jumper wire, so that is completely out of the picture. All the bulbs are good, and I replaced every single fuse under the hood with new ones, and i still have no dash lights. Could it be the radio, the car was sold to me with a aftermarket SONY AM/FM cassete deck, maybe the installer messed up? Which wire would be for illumination? Please help, this is one annoying problem.
Reply to
Rick

I had similar situation and it turned out that the number plate bulbs were faulty/shorting. They were replaced and it work fine Jim

Reply to
jimcollins123

Measure the voltage at the jumper wire.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I found the problem. This is unbeliveable. On the circuit board with the rheostat on it, the wire that is embedded in the circuit board was burnt and had split (like a blown fuse). I made another jumper wire to complete the circuit, and I have lights now. Thanks alot everyone

Reply to
Rick