Car will not turn over 1984 500 SEL

Ok heres the story. Car is a 1984 500 SEL with 199,000 miles. Bought the car, started and ran perfectly for 2 days. It has been blistering cold over here in michigan latley (0 degrees and negative 10 windchills). The night before, I removed the instrument cluster to replace the bulbs, and had the car running while I did this inside. I went outside and the car was running fine, so I put the gauges back in and went to sleep. Next morning, went to start the car, and got nothing but a click from the starter. The car will not turn over. I have tried hitting it with a hammer, heating it up, still nothing. Today I noticed that the anti-freeze tank wasnt showing any level as well. I added some and then tried to crank again, nothing. I tried cranking the engine by had with a socket, but it was from a nut that was easily accessible from the top of the engine, it would turn for a little then stop, because the belt would slip. Im at a loss of what to do on this. Do you think the engine over heated and seized, or the starter is bad

Reply to
Rick

Don't introduce new variables, the more things are disturbed the more difficult it gets to sort down to "the problem".

How does the engine oil look? Any coolant in the oil?

If the coolant was OK (for sure) two days ago but is now very low I'd remove the spark plugs and check each for wetness (from coolant). If you find a wet one or two, that side's head gasket is kaput and the head needs to be removed.

If you remove the spark plugs, the engine can be turned by hand (turn it in the correct direction). Turning may clear a hydraulic lock (cylinder full of coolant).

The other horror that comes to mind, while we're thinking about horrors, is a broken timing chain but that's the last thing to check.

If the oil looks OK and you don't KNOW if the coolant was OK or not I'd stick to the starter side of the equation. Fully charge the battery and try it. Jiggle the shifter to ensure the neutral safety switch isn't holding things up and whack the starter. Try another battery and finally replace the starter.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Fill up the coolant.

As for your starter, I would say your starter is dead.

Reply to
Tiger