12VDC cigarette lighter in 2005 Legacy 2.5i

I have had my Legacy 2005 2.5i for about a year now. It's a great vehicle. One of my gripes is the DC 12VDC lighter power outlets. When ever the ignition is turned off on the car, there is no voltage available on these two outlets. I would like to leave my cell phone charging in the car for an hour or two sometimes, but can't because of this fact. Is there any way to get the cigarette lighters to remain active once the ignition is turned off on the car? From what I have read, this is a safety issue. However, I don't see the big deal in just using it to charge a cell phone. I think one would have to bypass the electrical system, or run an independent wire from the battery or fusebox. Any other ideas that don't involve me ripping apart the dash?

Mike McWhinney

Reply to
eljainc

Greetings,

I believe that I would leave the system alone. BUT, on a 2001 Forester (the only wiring diagram that I have) shows that there are 2 "multiple power sockets". The power comes from the positive on the battery to a 25 amp fuse labeled "Multiple Power Socket Fuse Holder". From there power goes to a relay. Red wire in on pin 3 and red wire out on pin 4. Then the red wire continues to the sockets. Should be the center pins. The outer shell of the socket is black wire which ties to ground, completing the circuit.

On the relay there is a green wire to pin 1. That is power to the coil in the relay. Pin 2 is a black wire that ties into ground. That coil is dead until the car's fuse #4 gets power. Key on or engine is running.

SO what you want is the coil to be picked up all the time, or in this case the contacts to be closed. The easiest way to do this is to remove the relay and bridge wire 3 and 4 (red wire in and red wire out). That way all of the other loads on fuse #4 stay on/off with switch as designed. AND the only real change is power to the power sockets all the time.

An alternate way to do this might be to leave the socket in and just jumper/bridge the red wires on pins 3 and 4.

Hope that helps. If you need the 2001 schematics showing this, let me know and I will get it to you...

That is all I can tell you about an older vehicle. I DO NOT have the schematics for anything newer than 2001...

Bill

1995 Subaru Legacy LSI Sedan with 114,000 miles 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Sedan with 2,000 miles 1984 Mercedes 300D Turbo with 200,000 miles 1980 Mercedes 450SL with 225,000 miles 1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup with 71,000 miles

Reply to
Bill Pelka