Tacoma Prerunner Unresolved Problem!!

I purchased a Tacoma Prerunner, TRD new in 2001. I am very pleased so far but ....... I have this extremely irritating noise that seems to come from either the rear end or driveshaft. It almost sounds like a bolt clanking around inside of a tin can. I have taken it to the dealer 4 times now and all that they can say is "Sorry sir, we cant duplicate the problem" The dealer has even gone so far as to have his "Master mechanic" drive it back and forth from his home for a week ( round trip travel was about 100 miles!) Sure as heck, I picked it up yesterday and sure enough, clank clank ...... The truck has only 38,000 miles, still under warranty, etc. What are my options now? Anybody out there have a similiar problem. Would bitching to Toyota do me any good??? TIA,

Dan

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

Seems that my noise problem is intermittent. Noise seems to disappear when taken to the dealer....you know the story! They always seem to lube the driveshaft which lessens the noise but after more miles driven it comes back! Keep in mind that the noise is intermittent. I guess my alternative is to take to another dealer...my local dealer here in town doesnt seem to really address the problem, ie; troubleshooting to look for worn or loose parts. Anyone else out there have a Toyota service dept that addresses problems in this way to their customers? I would like to know. Tks, DanO

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

I also have a 2001 Prerunner (32,000 miles and still under warranty) and it has the same problem! You described the sound perfectly! Everytime I make an appointment to take it in to the dealer, the noise stops. My boyfriend has spent several hours underneath my truck trying to find anything that might be loose and everything seems to be ok. The sound comes and goes however, I haven't heard it now for about 2 months. I've noticed that the noise usually occurs when it's hot outside. Also, the sound started up after I had the truck for about 18 months. I would like to have it taken care of BEFORE the warranty expires but that is proving to be very difficult since the sound appears and disappears so intermittently.

Reply to
KimNW1215

If you have taken it to the dealer you have made an attempt to have it repaired and it is documented.......I really hope that it is not suspension related as that could be dangerous! I will now have to take it to another local Toyota dealership for my 5th attempt at having it repaired. Thanks alot Toyota for having such concern for our safety!

DanO

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

You really need to take a chilll pill. How in the world is a person suppose to find a noise that never happens when taken to a shop! To me, the shop has gone beyond the normal, they actually drove it for a week to try and find it!

What do you actually expect them to do? Tear the whole truck down to find it?

Reply to
Jody

Must be a liberal-arts or sport major ....

Most of us realize that you have to hear/feel/find and verify the problem -before- you can even begin to think about repairing it!

Since your boyfriend couldn't find it either, he mustn't care or be concerned for your safety.

I've yet to have a problem -that I could demonstrate- that didn't receive prompt action.

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:49:25 GMT, "NewsGrpUser" found these unused words floating about:

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

And even then, how would they know when they found it anyway?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I expect them to identify and resolve my problem. Since they are the "Pros" then you would think that after 4 complaints from the same customer that they might try something to isolate the problem. And no they would not have to "tear down the whole truck", just look at the areas that might be causing the potential noise and replace a part or 2. Ya Think???

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

Congratulations for you! We just want our Toyotas repaired, I dont thik that it is too mush to ask. After all we paid more for what we thought was a better vehicle, maybe we will just end up as some of the few small % of owners that just cant be repaired...

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

Being as your the only one who can hear the noise, why dont you locate it for them and they'll fix it.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

The stupity of some people just admaze me!!!!

Hey, I bet the noise will go away if he stops driving it!

Reply to
Jody

I bet you treat all of your customers with an intermittent problem like mine in the same manner as u do here in this forum!

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

Riiiiiiiiiiiii.......ghT

How does not being able to locate exactly where the noise is coming from translate into my boyfriend not caring about my safety?? He took the truck to the dealer and they couldn't find it either.... Go be stupid somewhere else jacka@@

Reply to
KimNW1215

"NewsGrpUser" wrote in news:cX8La.4777$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net:

I had the same problem with the same truck. I found it, but it took me a while. The noise that appeared to be coming from under the rear turned out to be the filler door for the fuel vibrating under certain conditions.Even though the door was shut there was enough play in it to vibrate under certain conditions. A simple adjustment fixed it.

Reply to
Aussie

Try removing the hubcaps. You may have a stone (or lugnut) rattling around inside of a hubacp.

max-income

Reply to
max-income

Hey, thanks alot. I will check it. It would be nice if that was it !!! sounds kinda simple but who knows!

Reply to
NewsGrpUser