My 2002 CLK430

...came without the built-in phone but all the buttons are there on the steering wheel and radio face.

I'm wondering how big a deal it would be to install a Blue Tooth system utilizing the radio speakers and all the above presupplied hardware that would work like the COMAND system in my '08 C300.

Anybody been through this yet?

When I bought the car I was told the stuff was all there and it ought to be simple and cheap whenever I wanted to do it. Now, when I got my car serviced at the dealer a couple of months ago the service writer told me it'd be $3,500.00. That doesn't sound right.

Reply to
Paddy's Pig

The fiberoptic wires to hook up devices are there... in another word... prewired. However, you need to buy the PSE, amplifier and another box... I forgot the name. All can be bought on ebay... you have to find the right PSE that is compatible with the bluetooth unit.

It can be done for less than $700 if you buy and install everything you need yourself. It is not hard to do... just need a bit of understanding on how the system is hooked up.

I have done this already for 01 E320... however, I did not go up to bluetooth... which cost $400... so I didn't want to go ahead with that.

Reply to
Tiger

Just finished washing and polishing my '81 380 SL. Realized that REAL chrome and REAL steel and REAL Paint make a damn fine looking car. A joy to do. Hate doing my '03 Volvo because it is half plastic. Can I add, tritely, they just don't make them like they used to.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Thanks for the reply Tiger. You sort of back up my opinion that the guy is planning to hit a home run on me.

Unfortunately I'm not able to do it myself though so I'd have to find someone who could do it for me.

I don't want to look too clueless but I don't make my living as an auto mechanic. What's a PSE?

Reply to
Paddy's Pig

Download your document and read up on it... it is not that hard.

Reply to
Tiger

Wow! Thanks Tiger!

Reply to
Paddy's Pig

This is not a solution to your particular problem but I have a '95 W202 C180. My mobile has Bluetooth and I was looking for a B-T car radio. All I found at the time was a shitty looking, silver faced B-T Wharfdale. Installed it myself in 10 minutes, paired it with the mobile and it has worked like a charm for over 2 years. The radio & mobile automatically pair up when the ignition is switched on. Install & forget. Need to re-pair if battery is disconnected. If someone phones me the music/radio is automatically turned down and the ring tone is transferred to the speakers ..... press a button on the radio and I can have a clear, handsfree conversation. Auto disconnect & music back up when the other party hangs up.

Sony now make a good looking B-T radio which would look at home in a merc dash ...albeit twice the price. Anybody need a kidney ?? Bernard.

Reply to
Bernard Rother