Vauxhall CD30 radio faceplate removal?

Hi,

I posted recently about a faulty volume knob on a Vauxhall/blaupunkt cd30 radio. I've finally got round to trying to have a look at it. I used google and eventually found a post where some chap was removing all the orange surface mount LEDs and replacing them with blue ones.

The post said that you had to unscrew the large T20 screws on the sides of the radio and the front plate would detach from the main body of the radio, which it has done.

Then it said to unscrew the tiny torx screws and the metal bracket and PCB would come away. I'm halfway there. The bracket is detached and the pcb is loose. Some of the buttons have fallen out but the volume knob is preventing me from completely removing the front cover.

Should the dial retract through the face plate? Should I be pulling it a bit harder? Or am I supposed to remove the dial first, in which case, how do I do that?

There seems to be a crack on the pcb but I cannot tell whether it has broken any tracks. If so, that could be what is responsible for the failure. OTOH I hope I haven't caused it trying to get the face plate off!

I've only got the two line display, so I am wondering whether to buy a new radio and display at the same time? Do all the displays fit in any car and would all the non-radio functions work in any car? I imagine that the information is available from the car's computer and it is just a matter of using tech2 to tell the cu what display is attached? is it really that simple?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred