My car is STILL in DRIVE 82 300d turbo

So last night I pull into my driveway and stop. I put the car in park (its an automatic). I start closing my sunroof and to my surprise the car starts moving forward when I move my foot from the brake. WOW! I realise that there is nothing BUT play in the auto shifter stick. Since its in gear I don't think the transmission dumped maybe just the shifter came dislodged from its home? Maybe its the 'linkage'? I can't get it into any neutral gear to even start it. Any advise and how to fix? BTW its a '82 300d turbo diesel

Reply to
Bryan

Most likely your gear selector rod has fallen off the gear selector level on the transmission. You need to get two plastic bushings from the dealer... Park car on level ground... push it if you have to... set parking brake and go change it. You will need a good plier to coax that new bushing to go into the hole.

Reply to
Tiger