Is my transmission almost dead?

Car: 1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme Engine: 2.8L MPFI Tranny: 440-T4

As I've posted many times in the past year, my transmission has had some problems.

It all started with a sliding-bump when upshifting from 1st to 2nd. So 6 months ago or so I had the tranny serviced along with a New adjustable Vacuum Modulator. This did absolutely nothing to help the tranny at all. In fact I noticed absolutely no difference than before I took it in. I figured, oh well?

Anyways, tonight I went out to see if I could pick-up any other clues as to what might be wrong. Primarily I wanted to see if by controlling the shifter itselft(PRNDD21), and upshifting to 2nd myself, would it still result in the same delayed slip/pull/bang when going into 2nd gear.

Well, I found that first of all, it seemed kinda hard to get the shift indicator into the damn "2" spot. What I mean is that it kept wanting to jump ahead into the "D" spot. I doubt this really means anything. But here's what has me worried, and thinking my tranny is almost dead:

When I put the shifter into the "1" spot(1st gear only), the transmission would start making this strange 'whining' sound!? I would sit their idling, foot on the brakes, and just keep moving the shifter through the gear range, and every time I got to the "1", you could hear a very noticable 'whine', almost like a high-pitched "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". It would go away as soon as I put it into any other gear!?

I verified it wasn't just a one time thing by continuing to drive around and then stop and proceed to go through the gear range.

Has anyone EVER heard of ANYTHING like this before?? It has me stumped because why the hell would manually putting the transmission into 1st gear make any difference? I mean, why would the noise go away when the shifter is in "D", yet still in 1st gear at idle?

I think the trannies almost dead. I've noticed that shifting into Reverse is starting to get a lot harsher!! It's starting to BANG into the Reverse gear.

Anyone?

THANKS!:)

Reply to
OldsFan4Ever