73 Firebird Shifting Problems

I have a 73 firebird esprit. I am pretty sure its a TH350 trans. Last night I drove about 10 miles on the freeway and parked the car at a friends house. When i got back i turned the car on and put it into reverse. the car then went forward, i tried neutral, still forward, i tried all the gears, still goes forward. I tried putting it back in park and it was still going forward, i then reached up to the steering column and turned the thing there to the left about a 1/8" and it went into park and locked the wheels. i then turned the car off, turned the key to on and pushed the car backward to get out of the driveway. I turned the car on and drove it home on the freeway, and it sounded as if it was not going into 3rd gear as well. When i got home i checked the linkage under the car and everything appeared to be moving normally, the fluid is red and not gritty and doesnt smell dirty.

For about a month prior to this happening, i have been having to turn the steering column to the left to start the car, as it ignition lockout (or whatever its called) thought the car was in gear. then when i went to drive, it would be in neutral till i turned it just a hair to the right and then it would engage, so i figured, linkage is off a little, no biggie. Well, now i have no clue what to look for, as the shifter seems to be moving ok, the shift arm on the trans seems to be moving ok, but i get no reverse or neutral. When in the reverse position, the reverse lights are not even coming on...

Any insight?? Casey

Reply to
drummerguy

Your steering column may have a problem, but that's not the problem with your transmission. (unless it's column shift, you didn't say). If it's floor shift, just ignore that for now.

If you're lucky, you'll find that the linkage inside your transmission has come loose or broken. Internally, park is not really related to the spool valve that controls what gear you're in. So you could get stuck in drive and still be able to do park+drive at the same time. Just maybe.

On the other hand, it may be something totally different. Overhauling a Turbo 350 (or 400) only costs about $300 or maybe $500 if you live someplace expensive, so if you can't figure out what's wrong with it, it still won't ruin you.

Reply to
Joe

I took all of the shift linkage apart last night. Still no help. You are right about park and drive being engaged at same time. What is the difficulty of putting the linkage back together inside the trans? I was thinking of taking the pan off this weekend and checking the spool valve/linkage inside. The car is a floor shift and i disconnected the rod for the steering column and that made no real difference, except for making the car start easier (instead of turning the column)

Reply to
drummerguy

The "backdrive" linkage is worn on your car. There is a plastic ball that slides into the frame at the lower pivot and another small plastic ball or rubber sleeve at the steering column pivot. I don't know if any of this is still available from GM. There is a bolt on the rod that connects to the steering column for adjustment.

If you look inside the car at the bottom of the steering column you'll see your Neutral safety switch. When you move the gear selector, it moves the "backdrive" linkage and puts the switch in the proper position. It operates your backup lights too. It also acts as a theft deterrent by not allowing the gear selector out of park without the key in the ON position.

None of this has to do with the car not having any reverse. Thats going to be something internal to the transmission.

I would suggest installing a new shifter cable from GM. They're only about $26. Over time the cable compresses and the detents in the shifter are no longer in line with the detents in the tranny. Its possible this might be the reason you aren't getting Reverse if its in between Park and Reverse.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

It's real simple inside. Just drop the pan and have a look. If you're good at figuring out how things are supposed to work. If the spool valve is moving with the shift lever, then that's going to be as far as you can go in my opinion.

I noticed Dennis Smith posted you should get a shifter cable, but hold off on that for now. Your problem is internal.

Reply to
Joe