Oil Change every 3,000 mi? 1992 300E 112,000 mi.

Oil Change every 3,000 mi?

Believing this...am I the victim of a marketing scheme?

I asked the board about my gas...premium vs. regular and my habit of frequent oil changes (every 3,000 miles) came up....

Reply to
fxmalone

Are you a victim? It depends.

Some oils need to be changed this often, while others do not. IIRC oils refined from from South America and the Mid East crudes are olefin based, whereas oils refined from Pennsylvania crudes are paraffin based. Paraffin based oils hold viscosity much longer that olefin based oils. This means that the motor oils from Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania equivalent crudes will deliver substantially longer service than Saudi/South American based motor oils (adequate filtration presumed). I have run Pennsylvania/Pennsylvania equivalent grade oils in my cars for over 40 years and never have had a lubrication problem. I change the oil about every 7000 miles

Reply to
Ernie Willson

With regular dino oil, yes... change it every 3000 miles for best result.

With synthetic, I'd go 7500 miles before oil change.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Of course in a more modern car with an OBC you get told when to change the oil, based on useage pattern.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling