Old tyres :(

I did, I find the (only) Dutch dealer and sent them an e-mail. Their website lists the WR model but there's no indication that they're 'all season'. Are all WR's 'all season' or is that a subset of the WR range?

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Your experience is different from mine, When I got my new tires, I paid for the siping. It showed the next day, and I was not impressed with the grip. I check the tires, and they had forgotten to sipe them. I took the car back, and they corrected the problem. As a test I went to the local middle school and tried some full throttle take-offs, tried some donuts, and slamming on the breaks from 30 mph. The change was significant. The car ALWAYS caught itself from sliding sideways (it would step out only about 1/2 to 1 ft.). I am not saying they as good as the Nokians, but it can save you from having to change tires every season to get improved grip, or have an extra set of wheels/tires sitting when not in use.

Reply to
Thom

Correction, that would be "SNOWED the next day", not showed.

Reply to
Thom

I thought you were in Spain...

Reply to
Tiger

I thought you were in Spain...

WR is the all season tires... the Europe website is a bit confusion...but once you select your tire sizes... you will see all their tires.

The US website is much simpler and direct info. nokiantires.com

Reply to
Tiger

The WR is the "all weather" tire that I am recommending... apparently they also have regular "all-season" tires in US... called I3... no idea about that...

Reply to
Tiger

Do you know if siping can be done on older tires? I have a set of pretty worn summer only Bridgestones that have a little tread left. I was hoping that I could sipe them to get back some wet weather traction for one more summer. There is 5/64 of tread left so they aren't totally gone, but I don't know. Any ideas?

Reply to
Hazey

Brake soft hoses. They're date stamped; anything older than 5 years should be replaced.

Under the conditions your cars are being kept you are probably well advised to CHANGE the brake fluid once a year.

The car is ten years old now, change all the rad and heater hoses on principle.

Basically metal parts wear out when they're in use and moving or getting hot.

Rubber ages and gets useless just sitting there; the mantran of any old MB enthusiast upon receipt sof a new car can only be "replace all the rubber". And if it's 30 years old "replace all the brake hydraulics".

Rubber is only your friend when it's new.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

No, it's a problem with a 10 year old thermostat! You could put that thermostat in a new car and it would heat for shit too.

Order a couple. And test them. There are some parts that always work out of the box. Other parts like glow plugs and thermostats you test first, it is too much hassle to go through to find you installed a bad off the shelf new part which can and does happen.

So your choice is to possibly endure the trouble or expense of installing thermostat twice (hah! btdt) or test it and do it once. Then at the vest least you'll know it's good and not the source of any other symptoms that may remain. Flush the rad with MBs (cheap) citric acid flush and use new coolant if this hasn't been done yet. Use only MB coolant; $2 more per gallon or so. You can probably sell the empty star bearng containers on ebay ha ha.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Yeah, they help a bit.

The best tire for black ice is re-tire and stay home.

Richard, posting from the black ice capital of the world.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Despite its other shortcomings the Canadian governent does do at least one good thing: they test snow tires God bless their little icy hearts.

And of course the url to that page is the only thing in government that moves quickly: it hops around like a spring bunny with a double shot of testosterone.

I keep track of it here and just changed it to the current list (again):

Richard Sexton

Open the power steering resovoir and there it is, bingo, like a coffee filter dort of thing. Cheap at the dealer.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Too little tread left. I would expect when My tires get that low on tread that the siping would no longer exist.

Reply to
Thom

Well, for some reason forecasted black ice has a tendency not to turn up after all. Lucky, cause yesterday was one of those rare days I couldn't afford to stay home.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Ah, yes, some people think that. I wonder why ;)

I looked at it and called the Dutch distributor today, apparently they don't do e-mail. They sent me on to a dealer who was willing to order them for me for 95 EUR a piece (includes tax & fitting). They have to come all the way from Finland, but I guess we can wait a few weeks.

Thanks for the tip!

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

OK, how do I test it? Just put it in a pan of water with a thermometer and heat it until it opens? What temperature should it open? (in c if possible ;)

I'm not much of a diy guy, but I'll make sure to ask my mechanic to replace all the oil and fluids next time.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Personally . . . I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition at all?

Reply to
Hazey

No, nobody does that ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

It'll say on the thermostat. 86 usually.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

A Dutch guy doing a Monty Python skit? Nah - you sound more like some of the American ex-pats I worked in The Netherlands...

Reply to
Josh