Old tyres: marks on road/pavement?

Hello peeps, I've noticed that my new toy is leaving tyre marks on the neighbour's drive (I have to drive across part of their driveway to get to the back of my house). They've not complained but I like to leave as little impact on others as I can, especially when they live next door. The marks aren't due to the vehicle turning as it's going mostly straight and there is evidence that some of the marks are down to the front tyres so I don't think the sideways dragging from the four wheels at the rear are a problem.

So I reckon it's down to the tyres being about 1,000 years old (probably 6-8 minimum really), have any of you with older ex-mil vehicles noticed marks being left by the original tyres? I'd like to replace them anyway when I can afford it.

Cheers!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Are you sure the front wheels aren't being driven and the wind up is showing at the front because the two rear axles exert more force?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Yep. Drive to the front is off, and all the cross-axle diffs are off.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My Michellin XCL's used to turn everything black with a five mile radius - it must be down to the compound or something. I've not noticed this with other tyres I've lugged around.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

OK, so it's likely to be age, or compound, or both. I was going to replace the tyres with technic trackers, which have been ace on my Defender and didn't leave any blacking, they're also not too aggressive for green laning unlike the anaconda's that I've been recommended by mud-plugging pinz owners.

Cheers fer the feedback.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Sounds like the rubber compound is breaking down ( dey do dat dont dey) and releasing the carbon black ( I used to get mucky delivering to tyre manufacturers) more modern componds use silica which doesnt mark the same

Disco 200Tdi ( breathes sigh of relief )

Reply to
Derek

I'll check to see if there are codes on the tyres that I can use to determine the age, I wouldn't be surprised to find that they're over

10 years old.

Of course the neighbours hadn't even noticed until I spoke to them a little while ago, must learn to keep my mouth shut!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ah well these thinks happen but for goodness sake don't mention those drops of oil that have appeared. I'm going to service the Disco next week and while lying underneath checking whether those side steps are going to play nice when I take them off I noticed my first drip - what a relief I thought the gearbox must surely be empty Derek Disco-loured driveway

Reply to
Derek

My BFG ATs leave black marks on my tarmac turning circle. They are about 2 years old now.

short of not turning or turning on grass (not without problems!) i cant think how you would stop it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon