Petrol busts the pound a litre barrier in the UK

I thought it was a %age? And don't forget to take 17.5% VAT into account. And remember that for every pound you earn the government deducts tax and national insurance. So from every pound in your salaray you deduct, tax, NI, VAT, fuel tax and you'll see that they make a fortune out of us.

Reply to
John Burns

#!/bin/bash

# Civilization:

# 1) Most want it.

# 2) Most do not want to pay for it.

: .
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Of course the worst case is when you pay for civilization and still do not get it - then it is time to move.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

"John Burns" wrote

In the US, it's also related to capacity. Refineries can only process so much crude. Diesel and gas (petrol) are both relatively similar fractions, and production of one reduces the other. The US has high gas demand during the summer, and diesel - as heating oil - during the winter, so they trade it off, which raises diesel prices during the summer, gas during the winter.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I'm quite happy to have less of it! In Scotland something like 1 in 4 people work for the government. Does strike anyone as a tad high?

Reply to
John Burns

Or time to ask for change :-) Anyway, methinks this is getting a tad off topic.

Reply to
John Burns

Adding cooking oil to diesel is a not uncommon event in the Land Rover world here in the UK. Most people simply add anything upto 20% cooking oil to a tank full of normal diesel and aside from an odd smell from the exhaust you don't notice the difference. If you go the separate tank/fuel lines route then you'll likely need some form of fuel heater too as the cooking oil is, I understand, a lot less viscous when cold and can block up the injectors.

A couple of the people I know that are doing this get their oil from the local chip shop (for free) and filter it before adding to their diesel tanks. Result? A car that smells like a chip shop :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Sorry, I missed it. I stand corrected.

Reply to
Dano

After deducting all those taxes, is there any money left to take home?

I enjoyed your home page very much. Followed some links and had a few laughs. It was a delightful experience. Thanks John.

Reply to
Hernando Correa

I was thinking more along the lines of store-bought vegetable oil, not waste vegetable oil.

Obviously the waste stuff would need to be highly filtered.

I was under the impression that vegetable oil and biodiesel have various solvent properties which would negate the need for detergents.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

Unused oil should not be a problem. By detergents I mean teh washing-up liquids that may be added to the waste oil from washing the facilities (should have made that clearer).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Ah, right. Makes sense now. I thought you meant the fuel-additive detergents.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

IIRC there are two elements, the larger one being a fixed sum per unit volume. The other one is VAT, a variable (even if a fixed percentage).

In fact the second link suggests I was wrong in that fuel duty only is 47 pence per litre. I thought it included the VAT element, so total tax is

47.1 p (to be precise) plus 17.5% of the total price. At GBP 1 per litre total tax is about 15 p VAT plus 47 p duty = 62 p so a lot closer to what Dodgy thought.

The planned increase in the duty has been postponed.

When I filled up yesterday it was 'only' 97 p at my nearest central London Shell station. :-(

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

That's used oil. It's cheaper to use new oil straight from the supermarket than to buy diesel. In the UK. But this is mainly due to tax.

However, filtering old oil is easy enough. You leave it to settle for a few days. The animal fat floats to the top and the 'bits' to the bottom. So you use the middle. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There never was one. The annual car tax disc was once known as the RFL - road fund licence. Fuel tax just goes into general taxation.

Dunno what the fuss is. Would you expect tobacco taxation to be used only for the benefit of smokers? Alcohol taxation solely for the benefit of drinkers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Tis true. Even the most anti-taxation right winger wants taxes spent on useless wars and locking inadequates away for ever in jail.

In the UK, things like the health service which is perhaps the major tax consumer seems to be the sacred cow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends on what services they provide. You could reduce that amount by contracting out to the private side. But this has been shown to have mixed blessings. ;-)

Take something relatively simple like refuse collection which we all need. Your council might run this or pay someone else to. It would be impractical to arrange it for yourself. If the council run scheme is poor and or inefficient, it's down to bad management. If a private one is better, it has better management. But then will incur extra costs in the form of profit to the owners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This would be the health service that has more managers and pen pushers than it has doctors and nurses?

If the UK were a PC god game this would be the point to say "hang on, this isn't going well", and then reload from the game you saved in the

80s.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Well the Americans seem to manage to spend fuel tax on travel related things... Even the Germans with their famously expensive social security bill manage to avoid stealing too much of it.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Yeh, it's amazing what crud is left over. I let 16 liters settle and 1/3 of it were solids. What cr@p they feed us.

Heating the oil for an hour or so quickens the process, the whole mess seperates into three parts, water at the bottom, then the gunk, then the clean oil.

cp

Reply to
cp