300c in the UK??

hey ya..

Will this seriously imposing car be coming to the good ole UK?

If so..im buying!!

:)

Reply to
mudpucket

And how much do you guys pay for gas these days?

Reply to
Art

yep, got a test drive October or November, the dealer's already got a left hand drive one in just for show, priced from about 25k up to 32k for the hemi

pottsy

Ninety-five pence (GBP 0.95) per litre of standard 95 octane (c. 91 US). (Double US as usual?)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

.95 lbs per liter is $1.68 (USD) per liter which is $6.35 per US gallon.

Current US price per gallon is around $3.00 per gallon (but I'm thinking this will settle back to $2.50 by January or Feb).

Oil refiners are getting (clearing) about $1 (or $1.45?) for every gallon of gas they refine (vs 28 cents back a year ago when gas retailed for $1.87). Distributors and retailers are getting about 18 cents, and all state, federal, and local taxes average around 44 cents per gallon.

I'm sure it's been a high-priority (but relatively secret) concern by the white house (and particularly Cheney) to look into and/or find ways to increase US refining capacity, but it's hard to know if people like Cheney are too much in the pocket of the oil business to force changes to refinery capacity. They are probably walking a tightrope of seeing how high the price will go (can go) without causing an extreme public backlash and/or destabilize the US economy vs forcing the oil industry to increase refinery capacity. There was talk a year or so ago about converting soon-to-be-closed military bases in the US to oil refineries (the "not-in-my-backyard" mentality means that derelict military bases look attractive as places to build new refineries).

Many school boards in the USA are (or are considering) switching to

4-day school week because of high costs for fuel for school busses. The entire state of Georgia is (or was, or will be?) extending vacation time and keeping all kids at home. They figure that will save the state 250,000 gallons of diesel fuel per day.

By the way, is 95 octane (in the UK) equivalent to 91 octane as marked on US/CDN pumps?

Around here, 91 octane is "high-test", with 89 octane in the middle and 87 octane as regular (Sunoco might have super-high test - 94 octane if I'm not mistaken). I put 87 in my 300m.

Price for 89 octane is about 5% more than for 87, and 91 octane is 10% more.

I think all grades have 10% ethanol. You guys have ethanol in your gas too?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Ethanol is only in the corn producing states of the Midwest, in the East we have MBTE in our gas and premium is generally 93 octane not 91.

Don't count on seeing anymore refineries built, lets just hope that all of the refineries that were damaged in the hurricanes are brought back on line. The oil companies haven't added any refining capacity in decades, the cost for a new refinery is in the billions and the return on investment takes decades.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

BTW, the currency is pounds sterling, or GBP (or similar unofficial abbreviations) , not lbs, which refers to a measure of weight.

Yes, 95 octane is roughly equivalent to 91 in the US, something I stated already. This is the 'bog standard' stuff used by almost all cars across central and western Europe (don't know about eastern Europe and Russia) and is the most widely available grade.

In the UK we also get higher grades like 98 Octane (Shell Optimax) and 97 (BP's equivalent). Despite the producers' claims for superior performance I don't think the extra price is worth paying for my circumstances (3.2-l, 218 hp engine, only 5000 miles p.a., and 2.0-l, 122 hp engine, much less mileage). The 95 is recommended for both cars.

It is rare to see lower grades.

I don't think we have ethanol in the fuel.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I know Top Gear gave it thumbs down becuz of its "cheap plastic interior and typically-American handling"..

Up here, they assume that any American car has crap handling as it was built in a country with little or no curves in the road!!Therefore the cars cant hug the road very well.

And being ex-Canuck i have to agree that most of the Brit cars ive been in are damn "proper". lol

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mudpucket

In what eastern state is premium generally 93? In New York premium is 91 octane.

Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

On 09/26/05 05:28 pm Peter A. Stavrakoglou tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

It's a couple of years now since I lived on Long Island, but I thought that the Premium there (which I did not use) was 93 octane.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Here in VA, premium is 91.

Bill Putney

In Mass, NH and Maine it's 93 at Gulf, Mobil and Texaco.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Premium is 91 on Long Island and has been for a long time.

Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

Hmmm. The same stations serve it up at 91 octane here.

Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

The adjectives are irrelevant. Dare I say it, they are marketing hype?

All that matters is the octane number.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling
93 here in NJ.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Same gas price here (Denmark), I have never driven so lightfooted in my 300M :-(

The prices go about 10% up and down during the week, cheapest on sunday evening!

JimR

Reply to
JimR

But if the highest available in certain areas is 91 octane and you need (or merely want) 93 octane, what then?

Perce

On 09/27/05 04:42 am Dori A Schmetterling tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]
Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

In a lot of the US, max available octane is adjusted based on altitude. In the mountain west, for example, 91 and sometimes is frequently the highest available, and (except for turbocharged engines) works just as well as 93 does at sea level.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Reply to
Steve

You whistle for it.

(I don't see what this has to do with adjectives.)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling