Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

Hi
My dizzy wife just put 11 litres of unleaded PETROL (gasoline to our Cousins in the US) in her DIESEL Chrysler 2.5CRD (2003 model)
There was probably about a quarter tank of Diesel in it before she refuelled so 11 litres of unleaded petrol went on top of that, THEN she realised her error and put 40 Litres of DIESEL in on top of it !
Result, probably about a mixture of 5 parts Diesel 1 part Petrol !!!
One Guy in the Garage said she must NOT move the car as it would damage the engine and needed to be drained out completely etc etc etc
Then an RAC man on a bike ( who was refuelling himself ) said that most Diesels will run just fine with a little bit of Unleaded mixed in, he went on to say that my missus could run it on sunflower oil or chip pan fat too ?
The garages are shut for the weekend of course and she already drove it home about 3 miles without noticing a difference
Who is right, The RAC man or the Garage attendant ?
Has she ruined it already?
Thanks in advance
Add pictures here
βœ–

The RAC man.

No. My advice would be to just keep using it, and frequently top up with diesel to reduce the petrol ratio. Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike G wrote:

God bless you Mike !
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3 Dec 2005 06:53:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I regularly drive my diesel Focus with a 10:1 diesel/petrol mix in the Alps to control waxing. Never had a problem. Just make sure that you top it off after a quarter tank gone (with diesel naturally....:) ) to dilute out the petrol.
Add pictures here
βœ–
[Snipped Text]

How bloody wrong can you be mate! Your advice could cost this chap thousands.

Absolutely not. We have bulletins from the manufacturers now (in my case Honda) that suggest even priming the fuel system can cause damage to the fuel system on the latest high pressure common rail diesels.
If it hasn't been run, then DO NOT START IT. You can then get away with a simple drain off clean out an refill. If it has been started, then your troubles begin.
You have two choices, carry on and take a chance, or replace every component on the fuel system.
The common rail systems run at very high pressure - somewhere up to 2000 BAR is normal (yes, that's over 20,000 psi). The pumps reply on the diesel fuel to lubricate it. One or two sources I found using Google suggest that the material of the bearings is damaged by petrol.
If the pump is driven by the engine, and you opt for option 1, then there is a chance that the pump can sieze later on. If this happens, then it'll cause drive damage to the drive system of the engine, and possibly the head too. I'd expect this to cost up to £10k.
The manufacturers are recommending that we change all the components of the fuel system, and flush the lines and tank (On BMWs you have to replace the tank too) - this includes the pump, injectors, filters and high pressure pipes. Costs for this start at about £3k.
If you take it to a dealer and get them to flush the tank it might only cost a couple of hundred pounds.
It depends on how much you want to gamble really.
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Fuck me, my car only cost a couple of hundred pounds!
--
Regards, Vince

www.TruckDrivingInRussia.co.uk
βœ–

Then you'll know what you'll be doing with it I guess :-)
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
βœ–
If you are going to drain the car's fuel, don't pay all that money to do what you can do yourself with a suction hose, followed by a Jerry can of diesel to refuel after draining.
Has it given you problems running on mix yet?
Add pictures here
βœ–

diesel
Diesel fuel 'will' still be lubricating it, or are you suggesting that 'any' dilution of the diesel 'will' result in damage to the fuel pump?
One or two sources I found using Google

See my previous point.
If this happens,

Of course that is the manufacturers recommendation. I wouldn't expect it to be otherwise.

I would agree that ideally the tank should be emptied, but IMO, under the circunstances, the risks in not doing so are small for the OP. He's been offered conflicting advice. It's now up to the OP to decide. Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–
[Snipped Text]

No, I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, the manufacturers specifically state it.

ditto.
Aye, but in this case the gamble is for a clean and flush of the fuel system, or the risk of a new engine *and* replacement of the entire fuel system.
Surely it's wiser to take the safe option here - especially if the engine hasn't been run yet. The clean and flush will offer a fully safe solution.

How do you know that though, AFAIK we haven't yet had a chance to find out what the consequences are. We do know they *can* be catastrophically expensive, and possibly even dangerous.
It's quite possible that the manufacturers have actually tested the cars under these conditions and perhaps might know what they are talking about. Just go an see what kind of R&D Honda have, and you might have some idea how much they test things.

Yes, the wrong advice and the right advice.
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
βœ–

But she has driven it home from the petrol station which was about 3 miles.
--
Malc

"The remarkable thing about the human mind is its range of limitations."
βœ–

Bugger, that's a bit late then. Oh well, the choice is yours. If you do decide to take a chance I'd highly recommend selling it soon then, if it does prove to be the worst, then you are talking a lot to fix it.
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
βœ–
Andy Hewitt wrote:

Sell it and screw over some poor sap who doesn't know better?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Fraid so. What would you do?
--
Malc

"The remarkable thing about the human mind is its range of limitations."
βœ–

Erm, engine hasn't been run yet?

-- Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at www.thepetecollective.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

?
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
βœ–

safe
Re-read the post - there was a bit below that that quoted the OP.
-- Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at www.thepetecollective.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh, I see. I wasn't necessarily referring to the OP in that case, just to anybody that is in this situation.
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
βœ–

Priming the system could cause severe damage only because the pump could be turning dry. Petrol is wet but to help it lubricate better then add a pint or so of engine oil to the tank. There should be absolutely no problem then and at the concentration suggested by the OP, no problem anyhow.
Huw
Add pictures here
βœ–
[Snipped Text]

You're use of 'could' and 'should' is obviously taking a slightly hesitant stance on this one.
Unless you've actually seen results of either option, then taking the safest is best IMHO. It's a bloody expensive gamble if you're wrong - and you are going against the advice of the manufacturers!