Question ?? 420 SEL

i have an 87 420sel that displays a problem. i'd appreciate anyones positive input. when the car is cold and just started it does not smoke, but if i sit at idle for several minutes to warm it up or if i stop for any length of time while it's still cold it bellows out smoke so thick that that you can't see through it as soon as i start moving. if i just start and go this doesn't happen. it uses no oil and not a lot of transmission fluid between oil changes (3000 miles). once warmed up it doesn't do this either. could anyone give me a tip as to what might be causing this and where to look for the part that might need to be replaced. thanks

Reply to
wysiwyg.doc

It uses transmision fluid?

Reply to
Mark Conklin

I had this problem on my 84 500 sel. It was the modulator valve on the side of the transmission. Inexpensive problem

Pa ul

84 500 SEL
Reply to
Paul McKechnie

My 450SL had a problem like that. It would also blow a huge cloud of smoke at idle if stopped on a steep nose down incline for a moment. It was the valve guides. Had them replaced and has not done it since. It would only do it once after starting the car and not every time. Usually i would get about 1-2 miles from the house and it would release a huge white/light blue cloud from under the car.

Reply to
sdp1s

Probably your valve guide seals are worn....could be the modulator, check it, but I would bet on the valve guide seals.

Reply to
Rockman59