Radio in 85 300SD is POSSESSED. Help Needed! Please!

As I said I have a Pioneer stereo system in my 85 300SD. It played fine for a year or so. then I noticed the sound would start to get static in it for a minute or two then go back to normal. If I have the car parked not running and play the radio , in a very short time my battery is dead. Sometimes when you step on the brake the volume drops to nothing and comes back on when you hit the accelerator. I checked the wiring everything looked good. Also when the car is first started it keeps turning itself off and on. Any Suggestions?--NW

Reply to
nw

Sounds like your radio is fritzed... My question is does your factory fader still work on center console?

Reply to
Tiger

I suggest your radio is the "canary in the coal mine" and is displaying another problem - unrelated to the radio.

If this were my car I would check the battery, its connections and the alternator's output. The alternator uses diodes to regulate its output (voltage regulator) and these diodes fail after a very long time, like

19 years! The diodes alone can be replaced.

If nothing is found then I'd put an amp meter on the radio's circuit to check its (actual vs. specified) power draw. And unplug the power antenna's power supply line to ensure its motor isn't the cause.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I n response to the replys. First: Thank You

As for feedback yes the fader works fine the battery is brand new I will replace the diodes as soon as I find them. I tried with the power antenna disconnected and the same problem exists. Something else I noticed is it seems to do fine while the engine is not running. This is weird as I have the same stereo in my wife's 300D and it works fine. Could the accellarator be somehow electronically tyed into the radio? Or maybe the cruise control? Just grabbing at straws.--NW

Reply to
nw

If the factory radio works normally with your radio, then the installer did not install the unit correctly. That means you can only control left and right on the radio.

That also means too much load on your radio. Your radio is designed to run 4 ohm load into each speaker... but because of the MB setup... you are running

2 ohm load.

Therefore, it kills your radio.

Reply to
Tiger